Herpy.nu forums are still not fully operational. To stay updated, follow me at https://twitter.com/ValkyrianArts

Robotics

Enjoy metalworks, jewelry, sewing or other similar handicraft? This is the place for you!
64Dragonheart64

Re: Robotics

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » July 27th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

He still refuses to admit, but he tried to make a lazer-firing panzer tank with that one.
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.

The Unnamed

Post by The Unnamed » July 27th, 2017, 10:54 pm

No really... Your robot has movement system that looks like the british MK 1 to 7 tanks.

Really

http://www.battlefrontmodels.com/PG%20B ... 20Tank.jpg
I am the Unnamed,roaming this here earth,transcending time and age,searching for a purpose, a reason to be,to exist.

Xasin

Post by Xasin » July 28th, 2017, 9:20 am

Actually, The Unnamed, UHMWPE has one big flaw when it comes to its usefulness.
Due to the weak Van-Der-Waals bonds between the atoms, its melting point lies at around 130°C
That means that should someone really decide to shoot at it with a bullet with large enough energy, the material might melt from the heat caused by the impact.
Wikipedia:
The weak bonding between olefin molecules allows local thermal excitations to disrupt the crystalline order of a given chain piece-by-piece, giving it much poorer heat resistance than other high-strength fibres. Its melting point is around 130 to 136 °C (266 to 277 °F),[8] and, according to DSM, it is not advisable to use UHMWPE fibres at temperatures exceeding 80 to 100 °C (176 to 212 °F) for long periods of time.
And UHMWPE is not a wonder material. It's been used in processing since ... 1950? And the UHMWPE Fibres are being used since 1970 ^^
And actually is already being stuffed into anything that requires lots of strength.
UHMWPE are used as composite plates in armour, in particular, personal armour and on occasion as vehicle armour. Civil applications containing UHMWPE fibres are cut-resistant gloves, bow strings, climbing equipment, fishing line, spear lines for spearguns, high-performance sails, suspension lines on sports parachutes and paragliders, rigging in yachting, kites, and kites lines for kites sports. Spectra is also used as a high-end wakeboard line.
Although it's interesting to see that it's already being used in personal armour ...

Oh, and what would those composites be?
They certainly sound interesting ... Does it use Titanium as main base material?
I would imagine that to be suitable due to its low density yet good strength.

Also shush Dragonheart!
It's not like I actually put a Laser on my Robot or anything! D:
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.