Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

true ironworking

Enjoy metalworks, jewelry, sewing or other similar handicraft? This is the place for you!
Animarius

true ironworking

Post by Animarius » July 10th, 2016, 6:08 am

Many of you already know my way job but you may not know I have a passion for swinging my hammer and shaping steel. To me there's nothing quite as relaxing as the singing of steel, the clang of and anvil and watching something take shape before your eyes. It never gets old to me. I love taking some scrap metal and shaping it into something new be it something like an axe or blade all the way to something like a candle holder or a stool. Watching it take shape, letting the steel tell me it's story, is quite rewarding. More than that I can take pride in my work. I can stand back and show my craft and say "I made that. I shaped it with my own hand." I know it probably sounds funny but I figured I'd post this and see if there was anyone else here with a knack for metalworking. It's alway nice to find someone with common interests to exchange ideas and trucks with. Or just to share stories and creations.
NEC PLURIBUS IMPAR

Xasin

Re: true ironworking

Post by Xasin » July 10th, 2016, 12:52 pm

That doesn't sound funny at all ... That's awesome as heck!
Maybe you could even post a pic of some of your work? I'd be interested in seeing how such things look :3

Oh, and may I ask with what you heat up the metal?
I'm presuming that that's a somewhat silly question since, well, it's probably going to be some kind of furnace, but I'd still like to know where you got it from ^^
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Animarius

Post by Animarius » July 10th, 2016, 7:17 pm

I've actually been thinking about heading out to my workshop to snap a few pics. And I use a coal forge pit to heat my steel. I find it easier to work with my coal forge rather than a gas forge or furnace. There's just something about it. My setup is fairly plain. I have a segment of I-beam I use as my anvil. I have a heavy thick walled ceramic tub I use for my pit and a 50 gallon drum filled with oil for my quenching tank. I use a high velocity cage fan to pump air through my coals. It's about as basic as you can go but I've made some decent things with it.
NEC PLURIBUS IMPAR

Xasin

Post by Xasin » July 10th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Oh wow, that really sounds quite ... Well ... DIY :D
I love it :3
Sounds just like a thing to build with what you got in your garage ... And if it works well, well then even better!

Glad to hear that you got some good things out of that. It sounds like a cool and useful hobby
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 13th, 2016, 3:11 am

AWH SWEET LEMME SEE SOME SWORDS & OTHER COOL STUFF YOU DONT GET EVERYDAY, why are so many cool people scaley x3
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » August 14th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Oh wow, thats awesome!

I love smithing. I totally agree with you, there is something very special about pulling the bellows heating it up, and then lifting that smoldering piece of iron and hammer it against the anvil, the clink sound it makes is very special. Sadly, I cant have a forge of my own since I live in a apartment.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » August 15th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Wow. That's quite the setup you got there. Keep up the passion!
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Animarius

Post by Animarius » August 16th, 2016, 4:11 am

Here's something I've been tinkering on since I have some down time. It's nothing spectacular but once I finish it'll make a fine shop knife. Feel free to tell me what you think. I'm always open to improvement.
20160815_223204.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NEC PLURIBUS IMPAR

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 16th, 2016, 7:52 am

Pointy? Looks cool though!
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

Animarius

Post by Animarius » August 16th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Yeah i tried for what's called a "wharncliffe " point. I'm still tinkering with it and I may change it before it's all said and done.
NEC PLURIBUS IMPAR

LoneNightfury
I am a: Artist

Post by LoneNightfury » November 13th, 2016, 8:04 am

Do you have any power tools that you use? ex. Power hammer, anvil, forge? or do you just go old fashioned hammer/forge
#include <sexy>
#include <tease>
string AmzHck = "OwO";
void SuperHack (string AmzHck, int len){
cout << "MUAHAHAHAHAaaaaa, Hacker Dragon Has Struck Again!!!" << endl;
cout << setw(len) << AmzHck << endl;
}