Herpy.nu forums are still not fully operational. To stay updated, follow me at https://twitter.com/ValkyrianArts

Robotics

Enjoy metalworks, jewelry, sewing or other similar handicraft? This is the place for you!
Xasin

Robotics

Post by Xasin » July 7th, 2016, 6:08 pm

So!
To fill up the empty space of the new forums, and because we really enjoy robotics and all the gun things that come along with it, meaning the electronics, mechanics as well as programming the thing, I decided to make a thread just for such purpose!

Got any neat project to share?
Need help with a tricky circuit or bit of code?
Or just want to discuss ideas for the next remote controlled quadrocopter water balloon bomber?

Then paste it right in!!
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Angel

Re: Robotics

Post by Angel » July 7th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Couple songs that come to my mind when word robotics is mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADjkfLl3Lc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o7YhbSjJ_o
Angel
Tulpa.info advisor for Herpy.nu on tulpa phenomenon

Werecrocodile

Post by Werecrocodile » July 18th, 2016, 12:57 am

I used this and still do for making very basic contraptions,thingamajigs,and doohickeys. https://circuits.io/
Wenn dein deutsch wie ich dich das liest kannst du Verwenden Sie kein Google Translate. Verlierer
Hidden Content

Xasin

Notos Pt. 1

Post by Xasin » July 18th, 2016, 1:31 am

Uuuhh, I think I know that website, Werecrocodile!!
It's nice to get started with electronics since you can quickly see if something would go wrong, and can experiment freely ...
But once you get enough experience then it's easy to work without simulators.
Most things are digital, so you only have to worry about "On" or "Off", which is easy enough :D

In the meantime, I have started getting plans for my next Robot, called "Notos", following the names of the Greek gods for the wind, started by my first robot "Zephyr" :D
Thought a proper naming scheme would be cool.

So far it's looking to be a chain robot, of similar size to Zephyr, and many other bots (like Lego Mindstorms robots)
Moving with stepper motors and powered by an ATMega32 (Instead of the ATMega328 I used in Zephyr), as well as a thick 6-Cell LiPo battery for the 12V, it should easily be able to climb slopes and get over obstacles, whilst following a line.

For the Line-Following sensor I am actually still indecisive. I am leaning towards using a self-built system of different LEDs for lighting, and about four or five light-sensitive diodes, which a separate chip will process. It would allow me to calibrate them, which is better for different light conditions, as well as to tweak them better ... But it might be hard to get it working right, while I could also use pre-packaged IR sensors for sensing the white/black area. Those sensors do work somewhat well ... But they have the considerable disadvantage of being digital, not analog, and having a fixed tipping point, which means that their sensitivity has to be changed by mechanically spacing them from the ground differently for each light condition ...
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by LokiDragon » July 26th, 2016, 9:25 pm

That sounds interesting Xasin (Think I understood most of it!) I've just bought myself a new book on building robots using Arduino Unos, my older books seem a bit out of date. I'd like to get my Strand Beest moving again, I thought originally I could wire in some toy car controls but in this new book there's some guides on how to make wheeled robots with distance censors that could be adapted like the cars.

Xasin

Post by Xasin » July 26th, 2016, 11:07 pm

LokiDragon wrote:I've just bought myself a new book on building robots using Arduino Unos, my older books seem a bit out of date.
The Arduino Series is a really great way to get started into electronics, Loki!
They are easy to understand, have a huge community, and are basically indestructible unless you are really stupid, so I highly recommend playing around with them ^^

I really hope that your project will work ... Is the "Strand Beest" a robot you had built before, or is it a old toy car model that broke down?

Hidden Content

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » July 27th, 2016, 8:26 pm

It's a toy I bought off ebay... Thought I'd showed you it, awhile back when I was painting it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyuuEqkdT6A

I've given mine a steampunk paint job!

Xasin

Not quite a robot, but ...

Post by Xasin » July 28th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Dang, that's an awesome .. uh .. Gha I forgot the name of those things, but they are COOL!

I might make one myself some day ... :3

But sadly they can't really do anything much except walk forwards ... In a very fancy way though :D

Hidden Content

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » July 28th, 2016, 9:33 pm

That's not true! Check this, this is what I was going to build originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1H1f3_Q6A

Although I was just going to use a two wheel drive RC car, but like I said I want to learn about Arduinos so I figure I'll build one like this then mess with the software. :?

Xasin

Post by Xasin » July 29th, 2016, 12:39 am

Uh nice!
I ... Do suppose it's fully possible to use that Strandbiest as a sort of wheel-like movement system, but ... It does not really have thaaaat many practical applications.
But I guess it is a less complex version of a spider-crawling mechanism, so it should work well under some unstable underground and such!

Hidden Content

Xasin

Notos Chains update!

Post by Xasin » August 11th, 2016, 7:11 pm

So!
After having started to work more on the project, I have finally managed to write a fully functional OpenSCAD library to put together a combination of structures for the chain track drive of Notos!
Things are going good~

Hidden Content

Dracokon
Site Admin

Post by Dracokon » August 12th, 2016, 1:23 am

I'm from a completely different neighborhood of robotics (robot combat) so I'm not fully familiar with what you are doing, but I just wanted to say I think it's fantastic and I can't wait to see the build pics. :)
Twitter - YouTube - Gatorbox Forum
Telegram: Dracokon