Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Fur, fabrics, leather and Hide. My sewing is wonkey and my seams are too wide!

Enjoy metalworks, jewelry, sewing or other similar handicraft? This is the place for you!
LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Fur, fabrics, leather and Hide. My sewing is wonkey and my seams are too wide!

Post by LokiDragon » July 10th, 2016, 12:17 am

So I figure we need a thread to cover the creative side of costume and clothing... Do you enjoy making cos-plays or Fursuits? Do you make your own clothes, design outfits or customise stuff? Are you making your own leather armour or need help working out a pattern? Talk about it here! If you can run it through a sewing machine you can run it through this thread! 8-)

LokiDragon

Re: Fur, fabrics, leather and Hide. My sewing is wonkey and my seams are too wide!

Post by LokiDragon » July 10th, 2016, 12:24 am

I'll start! I've just finished making a Voodoo punk waist coat with imitation crocodile fabric on the pockets and adjustment belt.

LokiDragon

Re: Fur, fabrics, leather and Hide. My sewing is wonkey and my seams are too wide!

Post by LokiDragon » July 28th, 2016, 10:40 pm

So where are all the fursuiters? And the armour makers? Come on guys I know your out there... I can hear the cooling fans in your heads!

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 12th, 2016, 9:13 pm

well, i mean i did once awhile ago, but the closest thing to armor making is almost joining a group of knights that live around here. it took too long and I got uninterested. But nice skills in crafting that! :P
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » August 16th, 2016, 10:45 pm

Krakenthekrab wrote:well, i mean i did once awhile ago, but the closest thing to armour making is almost joining a group of knights that live around here. it took too long and I got uninterested. But nice skills in crafting that! :P
I did that myself for a year or two, they taught me a lot about getting my leather work to a higher standard (made a few standards!) I would have liked to get into chain-mail construction also. Sadly though the group fell apart when the leader handed it to the historian to look after in his absence (That guy was a total pillock). :(

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 17th, 2016, 8:19 am

Awh yeah same thing kinda happened, there training place was a national guard building but they kicked them out took them year and a half to find some place new. But as I said my interests went elsewhere. But I still love going to those events though watching them clash. And knowing there IS a Tailor and a blacksmith behind all that leather and chain mail. What a job it must be.
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

CrankyMoose

Post by CrankyMoose » September 13th, 2016, 2:17 pm

Haven't had much if any experience with costume making, but I certainly admire seeing what people make. There was a steam punk festival in Lincoln recently which I accidentally ended up seeing, I saw some really fantastic effort people put in. I was surprised how different the age range was for that scene.
LokiDragon wrote: I've just finished making a Voodoo punk waist coat with imitation crocodile fabric on the pockets and adjustment belt.
Nice job, I love seeing photos of trinkets and even costumes people make. Presumably you sell these? Out of interest is there much of an audience for this kind of thing, I was kind of curious what catering to a niche market like this would be like.
A dream, an illusion, a bubble and a shadow

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » September 13th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Well I usually try to set up a stall at the steampunk conventions... Haven't been to the Lincoln one yet (Weird that's the second time somebody's mentioned that convention today!?). There's some profit to be made if you don't go for just one outlet, I do the stalls, make private commissions. That first one was a practice one for a magicians waistcoat I did this summer.

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » October 27th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Well I don't want this to turn into another art thread for me but hey I made myself a new coat for the Goth festival. Look it's scalie... 8-)

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » January 19th, 2017, 4:05 am

Wow, I'm always amazed at your pieces Loki. Myself can't really sew for sh!t when it comes to esthetics, but when I repair something its tough xD
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » January 19th, 2017, 4:56 pm

To be fair when I was in university doing this, I was pretty useless. It's only the after years I've improved. Most things you get off the shelf nowadays needs repairs or corrections because their manufactured so quickly.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » January 19th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that :/ But yes I agree, whenever you buy something goth nowadays its rebranded chinaclones that break after 1 day, and if you want better quality is on the far side of the spectrum, with a dress for like £250 or more. I mean come on, cant there be a middle ground? o.-.o
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.