Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Pokemon GO

Do you too enjoy lurking in your basement while sweating Red Bull and Doritos while you rage at some 12-y-o kid across the continent? We understand you, come join us. We offer consolidation pizza.
Saber
I am a: Author

Pokemon GO

Post by Saber » July 12th, 2016, 8:06 am

Gotta catch 'em all.

So, with the newest arrival of Pokemon games sweeping the players off of their seats, I figured it would be time for some discussion!

Despite all of the server issues and other problems this game has, I've had an amazing time playing this game, especially with my friends! I find it kind of strange to walk around by yourself and get all excited when there's a Pokemon nearby. "X3 But when you're playing with a friend or two, it makes playing a much more enjoyable experience. It's also pretty neat how everyone sees and can catch the same Pokemon as you.

I've been playing this game consecutively for the last 5 days, and I've accumulated quite a strong collection. It's far from the greatest, but having my own Pokemon that I've found or caught around my area still makes me feel pretty special. ^-^

Currently, I'm standing at 50 different Pokemon caught, and I just turned level 14. =3 I play for Team Mystic as well as a few of my friends (we currrently control all of the 5 gyms in town!)

So, what sort of experiences with the game have you had? What's your proudest or most shameful moment? Feel free to boast about your strongest Pokemon!
Hello! Dragon here. Rawr!

Tera

Re: Pokemon GO

Post by Tera » July 12th, 2016, 1:59 pm

RIP. I desperately wanna play that game on my mobile but its not out yet in Malaysia. Pretty sure a lot of peeps here are having the same issue. It looks really interesting and fun but I urge people to not play it at the wrong place and/or wrong time and dont lose focus on other things. I reckom its a pretty good thing, it encourages ppl to go out and meet new friends
Nissan GT-R

Fenveireth

Post by Fenveireth » July 12th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Well... I guess it's no longer hip to play Go ?
♪ Get your kicks, on x86 ♫

Dracokon
Site Admin

Post by Dracokon » July 13th, 2016, 6:53 pm

I'm level 12 myself and play for Team Mystic. My city is very divided and there's a lot of turf rivalries between all 3 teams. Ironically, there are gang problems in this city and growing up I'd see things like people defacing graffiti tags and all that so it's kind of funny to see that same kind of "defacing" except by taking over gyms.

There's a lot of art and touristy crap where I live so there are Pokestops out the wazoo. I cheat and ride around in a golf cart to snake through downtown and get them while hatching eggs. Last night I ran into a group of Team Mystic players (whew) by the beach and we hung out until around 2am. I ended up being an ambassador of sorts for my own small group of buddies and let them know their usernames in case they turned up a gym. :lol:

I'm not sure if/when Nintendo will implement a friends feature, or if you will be restricted to only adding local friends, but my ID is Mukdragon in the event that you'd like to add me assuming the feature is supported. :)
#DracokonIsBack
SoFurry -- FurryNetwork -- FurAffinity
Telegram: Dracokon

Mallis
I am a: Artist

Post by Mallis » July 13th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Hey guys I just heard about this and thought you guys should be careful of what you have linked with Google and such. Basically they can look into your emails, search history and stuff because you got the Pokemon GO app

http://thehackernews.com/2016/07/uh-oh- ... -full.html

Dracokon
Site Admin

Post by Dracokon » July 13th, 2016, 11:04 pm

Mallis wrote:Hey guys I just heard about this and thought you guys should be careful of what you have linked with Google and such. Basically they can look into your emails, search history and stuff because you got the Pokemon GO app

http://thehackernews.com/2016/07/uh-oh- ... -full.html

When I installed Pokemon Go I only gave it access to my media files in case I wanted to take a picture in-game. I marked "deny" to everything else, as everyone should by default. Anyone complaining about the app "spying" or "snooping" on their business has only themselves to blame.
#DracokonIsBack

Saber

Post by Saber » July 14th, 2016, 3:17 am

Dracokon wrote: I'm not sure if/when Nintendo will implement a friends feature, or if you will be restricted to only adding local friends, but my ID is Mukdragon in the event that you'd like to add me assuming the feature is supported. :)
Like I said before, this game is a huge amount of fun with friends! I really do hope they add some sort of friend feature, but I'm also super excited for the player vs. player battles. The gyms just aren't quite the same, and it will be awesome to battle your friends. I'm still wondering how the battle system will work because the current one already seems wonky to me. x.x I do hope they fix that as well, along with all the other issues.

Dracokon
Site Admin

Post by Dracokon » July 14th, 2016, 5:45 am

Saber wrote:
Dracokon wrote: I'm not sure if/when Nintendo will implement a friends feature, or if you will be restricted to only adding local friends, but my ID is Mukdragon in the event that you'd like to add me assuming the feature is supported. :)
Like I said before, this game is a huge amount of fun with friends! I really do hope they add some sort of friend feature, but I'm also super excited for the player vs. player battles. The gyms just aren't quite the same, and it will be awesome to battle your friends. I'm still wondering how the battle system will work because the current one already seems wonky to me. x.x I do hope they fix that as well, along with all the other issues.
Not gonna lie, I'm level 15 in the game now and I still have absolutely NO idea how the battle system works. :lol:

I understand from a general sense that you can either use a weak attack or let your energy bar charge up and then use a "super" move... but I'll be damned if I can't figure it out. I've already wasted several dozen healing items trying to see what does what. I just end up mashing the weak move and hope I can just tank all the damage.
#DracokonIsBack

Angel

Post by Angel » July 14th, 2016, 9:36 am

Well, I'm not such Pokemon fan but it is indeed interesting to see the second wave of people visiting cemeteries and other places like that only upsetting the staff. :D The same was going on with Ingress I suppose, only maybe in smaller scale because there was no pokemon fandom involved.
See this: http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/12/technol ... arlington/
Anyway, another fun fact is that Pokemon Go shares the same location database as Ingress. All the pokemon go locations such as gyms and forts are actually portals in the ingress game.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comm ... omparison/
Also more on the blog of Niantic Labs which owns both games I think.
https://www.nianticlabs.com/blog/

Also Ingress trailer:
https://youtu.be/Ss-Z-QjFUio

@Kon
Don't worry. If you will keep playing on and managing your "health" effectively, you will have a lots of healing items and the higher level you be the higher level the items you will occasionally find.
Angel
Tulpa.info advisor for Herpy.nu on tulpa phenomenon

Saber

Post by Saber » July 14th, 2016, 7:23 pm

Dracokon wrote:
Not gonna lie, I'm level 15 in the game now and I still have absolutely NO idea how the battle system works. :lol:

I understand from a general sense that you can either use a weak attack or let your energy bar charge up and then use a "super" move... but I'll be damned if I can't figure it out. I've already wasted several dozen healing items trying to see what does what. I just end up mashing the weak move and hope I can just tank all the damage.
About the best you can do is keep using your weak attack until your special bar fills up and then use your heavy attack. Meanwhile, it's best to try and dodge the enemy's attacks (which you can do by swiping left or right) and especially their heavy attacks, if they're dodgeable. That's all I've figured out so far, and I'm really not sure if there are any other tricks or not. XD

Drazhenga

Post by Drazhenga » July 15th, 2016, 5:22 pm

I've been playing Pokemon Go as well. Level 10 and Playing for Team Valor. My pokemons are shit though XD highest is a 600 CP Flareon :/

Mallis
I am a: Artist

Post by Mallis » July 18th, 2016, 11:06 pm

I was finally able to get the game, just starting though and only lvl 4 still. Seems fun though hehe ^..^