Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

WW2!

Do you too enjoy lurking in your basement while sweating Red Bull and Doritos while you rage at some 12-y-o kid across the continent? We understand you, come join us. We offer consolidation pizza.
Krakenthekrab

WW2!

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 9th, 2016, 2:44 am

Any ww2 gamers in here? Red orchestra 2, company of heroes 2, world of warships?
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

Wind

Re: WW2!

Post by Wind » August 9th, 2016, 8:12 am

I doubt anyone who has even a little bit of a gaming interest has managed to completely avoid WWII games considering how many of them have been made, heh! I haven't really had a special interest for WWII games in particular myself, but I have played quite a bit of Battlefield 1942 and the first Company of Heroes game. World of Tanks also took up a lot of my time at some point, even if it isn't really restricted to the WWII time period. I have to say my favourite game set in an WWII setting is a slightly less well known one, Hidden & Dangerous 2. It's 13 years old by now and I don't know if it ever was very popular, I found my copy of it in a second-hand store many years ago. It's supposed to be a sort of tactical stealth shooter, but the somewhat clunky controls and dreadfully bad AI for your squad mates makes it easier to just ignore they exist and play it as a normal stealth shooter. Despite the obvious flaws it's a great game in my opinion, it gives you very much freedom in how you want to go about with finishing your missions, which is some very refreshing variation to hand-holding FPS games, and it hits a very good balance in difficulty by being fairly realistic but not frustrating or tedious. The game also manages to hit a strange balance of being a bit odd, glitchy and unpolished but somehow always maintaining a credible and realistic atmosphere.

As a bonus it doesn't feature Germans screaming at the top of their lungs in English with thick accents, which is something I'm so fed up with by now it just gives me a headache. :P

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 9th, 2016, 6:21 pm

I have never herd of silent and dangerous series. Yeah that game be kinda like a coin flip some may hate it others may not. I mainly look for gameplay in games, crappy voice acting doesn't bother me too much. I also used to play world of tanks but I felt the damage model for tanks with HP was too unrealistic for me. And yes I did try war thunder played it for awhile, it was meh, so much crap going around. Now I've been wanting to learn German (not only for family history but to under stand what there saying if they say it properly) but if you haven't checked out red orchestra 2 I recommend you do. They have two sets of voices. Let's say your the soviets and you are fighting in German. They speak and I guess scream in German. But if you play as the Germans it's a somewhat thick German English accent. Really cool mechanic.

How was your coh1 experience? I don't have it I was abit late for it before I got into PC gaming in like 2012. Anywho thanks for telling me about that hidden and dangerous 2 I'll check it out.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » August 10th, 2016, 2:03 pm

I'm considering getting it because it looks good - Hearts of Iron 3 or 4 (because it's new). Any thoughts on the series in general? Anything to tell me about these games?
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 10th, 2016, 5:11 pm

I have seen gameplay for it before but i have never played it before. Just think of it like ww2 FPS your a soldier ww2 RTS your a commanding officer, and in hearts of iron your a pretty high officer inside your government managing logistics and supply while keeping your army's large and not too tired. That's all I got pretty much.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » August 11th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Sounds fun though, because of the grand strategy involved unlike Civilization, which is more of a entry level strategy game.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Mydragonsfly
I am a: Author

Post by Mydragonsfly » August 11th, 2016, 9:13 pm

I've played a few WWII games myself. Almost my entire experience has been regulated to console games since i never had a powerful enough computer but other than that little note here's a very quick list.

Console:
All relevant CoD games
All relevant Battlefield games
Sniper Elite 2 and 3
RUSE
Battlestations: Midway and Pacific
Iron Brigade
Battle for the Pacific

And on the PC:
World of Tanks
War Thunder

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 12th, 2016, 4:09 am

I remember battle stations pacific, good memories. But what's your opinion on war thunder, I sort of played it got to teir 4 before I couldn't take any of the bullshit anymore.

Mazrogal

Post by Mazrogal » August 15th, 2016, 9:37 am

I played Company of heroes 2 a lot before and Battlefield 1942 and 1943 road to i think it was called, and also hmm Medal of Honor and Wolfenstein 3D and Call of Duty 1 and 2,
''Life is a struggle sometimes just push through and fight never give up''

My steamprofile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mazrogal Feel free to send a friend request^^

Valcyrie
Site Admin
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » August 18th, 2016, 2:53 pm

I've played a lot of WW2 games!

I used to grind Battlefield 1942 and its expansions back in the day, got really good at it too. Still a favourite of mine. Was a huge fan of Company of Heroes as well, still play that today. Did play Red Orchestra 2 for a while but lost interest in it since the community was terrible.

Right now its mostly World of Tanks thats WW2-connected for me. I've played countless others over the years as well such as Call of Duty, Empire Earth, and many more that I cant remember to list right now.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Mydragonsfly

Post by Mydragonsfly » August 19th, 2016, 6:47 am

Krakenthekrab wrote:But what's your opinion on war thunder, I sort of played it got to tier 4 before I couldn't take any of the bullshit anymore.
I assume this is directed at me since it came right after my post?

If it is, then my opinion for the most part is that it's an average game. A far cry from the more arcadey World of Tanks the War Thunder series is more aimed towards those looking for more of a simulator. I used to play WT but they recently switched from bot controlled vehicles to player controlled which after months of working with bots, the sudden addition of full on pvp as opposed to 5pvp and everyone else bots, I've pretty much thrown the game aside for now since I'm not used to that format for that particular game.

World of Tanks is what I'm more invested in financially and timewise, but I've scratched the game for the summer due to the typical player base that comes out during the summer months. Not to mention the mechanics of gold shells, armor, and artillery have generally driven me away. That last point on artillery is actually a big one for me considering I have a tier 9 piece myself which I do play frequently, but being on both the back and front end of the shell has just proven so troubling for me that I ditched that and after some frustration early in the summer, well lets just say that's that.