Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Dragon Space Program

Do you too enjoy lurking in your basement while sweating Red Bull and Doritos while you rage at some 12-y-o kid across the continent? We understand you, come join us. We offer consolidation pizza.
Xasin

Dragon Space Program

Post by Xasin » August 11th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Sooooo!
Since nobody has asked about this topic so far, I decided I could give it a whirl ^^

Who of you dragons has ever wished to build pointless but awesome, almost-but-not-quite physics defying rockets?
Oh, and obviously never used the abort button since you could just revert? :3
Then KSP is right for you!!

Apart from myself here, are there any fellow Herpy members that play?

If so, second question: Ever used Telemachus or DMP (DarkMultiPlayer)?
With a bit of playing around we could make ourselves a DMP server, maybe construct our own little space station ... Anyone with me? :3

Server Info
IP: xasin.selfhost.eu, standard port
Modpack:
Last edited by Xasin on December 20th, 2016, 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Krakenthekrab

Re: Dragon Space Program

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 11th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Aprart from messing around i just got to the mun xD. It was a long process of trial and error for me in that game. I later stopped because well, ksp wasnt realllly my game. And building a rocket to fit a dragon inside woudnt be that hard right? all you gotta do is put a huge cargo bay and a space suit large to fit one of them, unless of course we use a mini dragon :3. I remember i tried to just get to the mun as fast as possible PUT as many engines on it as i could and the thing was like 80% fuel (so not eco friendly) i went to the mun TOO FAST i ended up crashing. i still remember there faces to today D:
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

Angel

Post by Angel » August 11th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Oh, I'm in!
Last edited by Angel on October 11th, 2016, 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel
Tulpa.info advisor for Herpy.nu on tulpa phenomenon

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » August 19th, 2016, 4:11 am

I'm in too... generally though, I am one to use as many mods as possible to make the game as realistic as possible. Anyway, I'm in.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Xasin

Post by Xasin » August 20th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Aracth'nil don't worry about that!

Since we would have to use mods anyways, I was thinking about setting up a "standardised" modlist.
Then we could install the same mods versions via CKAN.

Plus, DMP also features Mod Control, so should we do have differing versions we would be notified.

Hoooowever I have a slightly bad news ...
KSP has been acting up thanks to Unity 5 for me, and it doesn't wanna run well for longer periods of time.
We could still try setting up a DMP Server, maybe on my local Raspberry Pi (though it isn't very strong), but I really want to wait for a bugfix to come out before I start KSP again... :/
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content

Xasin

DPSP - Dragon Powered Space Program

Post by Xasin » October 6th, 2016, 6:43 pm

So!
Now that with the upcoming update of 1.2 I am FINALLY able to play fluently and stable, without any crashing or annoying X-Server kills, I've decided to give this threat here a small kick!

And have decided to maybe work on a slightly bigger cooperative thing here :D

The exact outlines for this Dragon Powered Space Program are not yet defined, but I have a few cool ideas in mind:
  • A co-operative DMP server accessible to all members.
    There we could work on whatever we want, from a small station in LKO to a recreation of real-life missions like Curiosity or Voyager, just on Kerbal Scale!
    This would be the easiest to set up, since all we need is a very basic PC (A Raspberry Pi might be enough) running the DMP on good connection, and although my internet isn't the best I already have a permanent IRC bouncer and DynDNS set up, which would make adding a DMP server super easy.
  • What about fully IVA missions, together with a "Houston" style ground personal?
    How's that craziness supposed to work out well for anything? Well, enter Telemachus!
    It's a plugin for KSP that allows to remotely read out data from ships, and even control them to some extent, and that all via a Web-Browser!
    That way we could have coordinators telling the person flying the ship what to do, and making something that is very similar to the apollo missions. If you want it even cooler, have a look at "Houston" - A skin for Telemachus that looks fantastic, and mixes well with this style of playing!
    Although we won't need a DMP server for that it would still allow the "controllers" to plan out missions better by being able to look at the map and the state of the ship.
  • Maybe also some sort of challenges we could compete against?
    Space races, smallest weight, biggest payload weight required for a mission? Or maybe dogfighting (though that probably would work better with official MP instead of just DMP).
    The possibilities here are many, and input is always appreciated. There's a lot we could do that would lead to some really interesting rounds of gaming!
  • I'd say this is the one option that would be the craziest, most complex, and most long-term option of my ideas so far, but ... Uh ...
    A real-time mission setup, maybe to Mun, Minmus, or for the crazy guys, Duna.
    We could either do this via DMP and have it simple: You just log in to your ship, execute maneuvers, that's it.
    OR we could combine this with the full-IVA idea, set up Telemachus and a constant PC hosting the game to broadcast ship data via Telemachus and maybe even a stream for others to view X3
    Honestly this is just a spawn of my crazyness, but pulling it off would be pretty cool. Would also require people from various time-zones to be able to work with this so that we have time coverage for all maneuvers ... Uh ... But how about we see about that after we see who's even interested!
Everyone who's interested, please state below so I can see it :D

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » October 7th, 2016, 1:06 pm

I'm in, and if possible, two servers would be great so we can have a realiam mode and a vanilla mode servers. That way we can get the best of both worlds and have multiple things going at once.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Xasin

Post by Xasin » October 7th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Good idea Aracth!
A DMP server needs almost no resources to run (it does not run physics, it just regularly transmits the current state of the universe), so running two on different ports should be easy enough :D

First we'll have to see about when DMP updates to support 1.2 though, but with a bit of luck that shouldn't take that long, especially with the 1.2 pre-release already available!

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » October 8th, 2016, 1:17 pm

I was thinking Realism Overhaul, Procedural Parts , B9 and RP0. Or if we want some fun, maybe BD Armory on a standalone server for war or something?

Xasin

Post by Xasin » October 8th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Realism Overhaul might be a bit complicated, since it does include a LOT of different things, and I personally have never played it ...

But if it's easy enough to set up, maybe with CKAN, then it would be a really interesting option to play with, maybe with Telemachus and the Houston interface installed!
;)

Aside from that ... I see no problem with the other mods.
Those have always positively added to the game, and I've really enjoyed them. Oh, maybe KWRocketry, DEFINITELY MechJeb 2, and maybe TweakScale?

We won't have to worry about the complexity of the mods, since, as said, CKAN can handle that REALLY well :3

Oh!
Also, a DMP war server would be awesome.
Can't wait to launch sabotage missions to take down enemy satellites >:3

Hidden Content

Ziea Ebbon

Post by Ziea Ebbon » October 10th, 2016, 11:28 am

I'd love to participate, my timezone is gm+2. I can set up the communication sattlite networks. Also I am pretty good at docking.
Though worried about the whole modded side... I'd just do vanilla please....
I read up and I am confused. So all this would run at normal speed?

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » October 10th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Yep, and by the way, the modded version would be a second server. (I like mods... I personaly play with 80ish so...)
Also I don't know how DMP works, but does it allow for Career mode?