Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Dragon Space Program

Do you too enjoy lurking in your basement while sweating Red Bull and Doritos while you rage at some 12-y-o kid across the continent? We understand you, come join us. We offer consolidation pizza.
Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Re: Dragon Space Program

Post by Aracth'nil » December 21st, 2016, 5:19 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Need them heatshields...
KSP crazy ships... has anyone made one yet? I once made a ship out of just nuclear engines.. so hard because shocking Isp near sea level. Took about 40-50 engines in layer asparagus to get it off the ground.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Xasin

Post by Xasin » December 21st, 2016, 6:13 pm

Aracth'nil, I think you will have an even harder time doing that now than ever before.
I don't know if that's a recent change or not, but the Nuclear Engine now weighs in at a freakishly high 3t!!
It makes using the LV-909 a LOT more efficient in lots of cases ... But I actually think it's kind of a good adjustment. Balances the Atomic Engine for larger transfers of much bigger crafts, and gives the 909 something more to do :D

Also, Dragonheart ... What by all gods did you do o.o
Make sure you are playing the 64-bit version of KSP in any case! I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem, but it can't hurt...

If you get that error more often I might have to try and reproduce it, then figure out what mods do that ...
Meh :S
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

64Dragonheart64

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » December 21st, 2016, 8:13 pm

I'LL DO IT XASIN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 22nd, 2016, 12:02 pm

Xasin wrote:Aracth'nil, I think you will have an even harder time doing that now than ever before.
I don't know if that's a recent change or not, but the Nuclear Engine now weighs in at a freakishly high 3t!!
It makes using the LV-909 a LOT more efficient in lots of cases ... But I actually think it's kind of a good adjustment. Balances the Atomic Engine for larger transfers of much bigger crafts, and gives the 909 something more to do :D

Also, Dragonheart ... What by all gods did you do o.o
Make sure you are playing the 64-bit version of KSP in any case! I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem, but it can't hurt...

If you get that error more often I might have to try and reproduce it, then figure out what mods do that ...
Meh :S
Nup, did the nuclear engine thing recently... it coulld only haul like 10t into orbit with the amount of engines it had. I did put a set of flea SRBs so that might have helped..
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Xasin

Post by Xasin » December 22nd, 2016, 9:36 pm

Huh, how surprising ...
But it's funny to think that using a more efficient engine actually is less efficient overall due to it's weight!

KSP should add a display for how much efficiency you actually get (Maybe in dV/Fuel?) if you slap one engine of that type on. Could help while designing crafts!
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 23rd, 2016, 1:40 pm

Well you have MechJeb so... :D
Also wouldn't be too hard to calculate... specific impulse and mass multiplied together should give you a number I think?

Xasin

Post by Xasin » December 25th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Oh yeah, MechJeb does tell you the DeltaV and stuff!

But still ...
Also, multiplying the values together doesn't quite work as well. ISP is higher the better it is, while less weight always is better too.
Dividing may work ... Possibly the ISP divided by stage dry mass?
Could do the trick ... :D

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 27th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Someone must have made a constant right? I've always thought though that KSP had too robust cargo. Wonder if theres a mod for that. Saturn V, Delta series, Falcon 9, Soyuz, Space shuttle all peak at max nominal climb gs of less than 3.5Gs compared to KSP's like 9. Realism mods? (Except abort scenarios)
Hence the slow irl liftoffs of rockets.

Xasin

Post by Xasin » December 27th, 2016, 8:10 pm

I ... Don't exactly know what constant you are talking about, Aracth'nil.
If you mean the efficiency of an engine you probably are talking about the ISP, but what I was talking about was tackling a different problem: That the heavier weight of the more efficient nuclear engine meant a in total lower efficiency, because the extra weight also has to be pushed.
And because this extra weight gets less and less relevant the more weight the spacecraft itself has, you can not just have a constant, but instead have to dynamically calculate the efficiency based on engine efficiency AND weight difference.

Also, my current launchers all have a TWR of about 2 to 3 for their first stage, so I never really have more than 5G during ascent ..
Or, for that matter, during the whole flight, most of the time.
Don't know what you are using for >9Gs

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 28th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Hey its the tyranny of the rocket equation again as frequently mentioned by Scott Manley.
Also 9+G is 5x Mainsail before separation when pushing a smallish load to LEO.

Xasin

Post by Xasin » December 28th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Yooooooouu probably meant "LKO" my dear :P
And why god why would you even use such a booster? Don't the aerodynamic losses shoot sky high at the speeds you reach with that? I mean, even with the changed KSP aerodynamics ...
Njeh

That reminds me ... I should totally set up some sort of water landing stuff!
The new water will definitely make it more fun :3

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 29th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Full sandbox mode creates crazy things, especially playing without MechJeb in the old versions. I remember finding ships on forums that showed how to land on the Mun way back when landing gears or legs weren't in the game and people used wing fins and the like.
Or when you don't know delta v requirements in RSS, hence LEO (Testing showed something like 10km/s by memory or maybe it was 20)

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » January 4th, 2017, 12:57 pm

GG got to orbiting Duna in 3-4 hrs of playtime I think. Going to Jool now with some gravity transfers that don't seem to show up. Laythe here I come!
Now for the real reason I'm double posting: I don't know if the issue is my computer, the server, internet connection on either end or a mix, but my game crashes a couple times every hour, especially when loading large ships (like my 130 or so part interplanetary ship) or when time warping, or building in the VAB, or just randomly. Got another computer I can try, but it's a bit annoying. Other side of the world though, so could be that. Based in Sydneyish area so…)
Anyway I don't think I'll be able to build a station as large as I want... previous build have been known to kill my graphics card, even with its 2GB of VRAM. I think part of the lag might be the amount of ships around... my worlds generally only have like 5 with only one active vessel. Unavoidable but...
(Also landed on Gilly, then had to revert. Oops. Duna mission got like 900 science, and Eve mission crashed. Got all the 160 science unlocks though)