Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Dragon Space Program

Do you too enjoy lurking in your basement while sweating Red Bull and Doritos while you rage at some 12-y-o kid across the continent? We understand you, come join us. We offer consolidation pizza.
Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Re: Dragon Space Program

Post by Aracth'nil » January 4th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

GG got to orbiting Duna in 3-4 hrs of playtime I think. Going to Jool now with some gravity transfers that don't seem to show up. Laythe here I come!
Now for the real reason I'm double posting: I don't know if the issue is my computer, the server, internet connection on either end or a mix, but my game crashes a couple times every hour, especially when loading large ships (like my 130 or so part interplanetary ship) or when time warping, or building in the VAB, or just randomly. Got another computer I can try, but it's a bit annoying. Other side of the world though, so could be that. Based in Sydneyish area so…)
Anyway I don't think I'll be able to build a station as large as I want... previous build have been known to kill my graphics card, even with its 2GB of VRAM. I think part of the lag might be the amount of ships around... my worlds generally only have like 5 with only one active vessel. Unavoidable but...
(Also landed on Gilly, then had to revert. Oops. Duna mission got like 900 science, and Eve mission crashed. Got all the 160 science unlocks though)
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Xasin

Post by Xasin » January 4th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Well, I don't really know how exactly the connectivity to the server would affect your gameplay in any way - and from how it sounds there should really be nothing wrong with your system that is causing crashing either.
What's more is that I myself have not had such a random crash on my system, however (!) I am running a linux distro, and that will most likely make crashes appear differently, or not happen at all.

Also ... Please don't make a card-killing station?
I mean even aside from the fact that anything with more than 200 parts seems a bit much for something stuck in orbit, you always have to remember that not everyone has an expensive card with 2GB of VRAM that will able to handle even something that runs fine for you.
You are free to play with as many parts as you wish, however do at least try to make sure that the things you deposit as public stations do not cause the PCs of everyone else to crash.
Alright?
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » January 5th, 2017, 12:24 am

Yeah ok... would only crash if you loaded it though or got close enough that physics started rendering.
Also I tried to connect again, and theres compatibility issues that just showed up. Did you change anything?
Wait let me try updating whatever 'kos' is.
EDIT: Seems to be a problem with DMP... was working fine yesterday... Also its definately not Kerbal OS - the file path leads to DMP.
Now reinstalling.
EDIT 2: Still doesn't work. Maybe I'll change computers... I'm running on a Mac right now and CKAN has to be manually updated for new modlists and the like so might as well change. Hopefully that fixes it.
EDIT 3: Works from the Windows, wonder why. Made it to Laythe on flyby and the other two inner moons. Only have ~450m/s to return from a mid Dres/Duna to Jool orbit :/ Lucky I put a docking port! (My expedition did advance the game a few decades though) Also no crashes anymore so that's good. Telemachus is cool BTW!
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Xasin

Post by Xasin » January 6th, 2017, 11:34 pm

Heh ... Uh ..
Yeah sorry about not mentioning the update, I did want to do so, but some things pulled me off of the PC for a bit ...
And you all have the Google Docs link, so it was fine.

KOS, by the way, is a fully scriptable autopilot system that can control your ships!
It can even do as much as control infernal robotics robot arms, or transfer fuels, or even switch from vessel to vessel! It's an absolutely amazing system that would make station-keeping much easier, as the station could automatically alert players when it needs a refuel, and auto-transfer liquid fuel and monoprop on to a ship ...
Well, required that someone knows how to program KOS >.>

Also ...
I personally have no clue why the mods are not working on your MAC ...
Maybe there are issues with a mod that has specific versions for linux/mac/windows? If you can track it down and it's not a vital mod, I'd be happy to remove it!
But ... If it really is DMP, tough luck ...

AaAanannnnnnnnnndddd thhhaat sounds like you will need some REALLY good tricks ...
Ever seen CupcakeLander's video on the smallest interplanetary vessel ever? You can use ... Six? Seven? Swing-by Maneuvers to get back to Kerbin.
If you are extremely crazy and have more than enough time to spend calculating the perfect orbits ...

And don't worry, time is irrelevant for all other ships!
Well, as long as they are on stable orbit, and have a power supply ... >.>

Be glad we aren't using Principia!
That would easily wreck every spaceship in orbit, given enough time. ALSO makes it super fun to play with physics ...
For those that don't know: Principia is a N-Body gravitation iterator. It basically provides MUCH more realistic ... And complex ... Gravity :D
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » January 7th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Oh yeah that mod. Also my orbits seem to be decaying really slowly. Is it a mod? Periapse only is going down like .1m/sec which makes me think bug but MechJeb says so...
EDIT: Getting that science!
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » January 9th, 2017, 10:07 am

Double posting to bring forward a new technical problem... did you update the server? The server seems to disconnect way more frequently and I tried to have a rocket launch only for the server to say some parts were illegal from KW Rocketry. Fixes?

Xasin

Post by Xasin » January 9th, 2017, 4:34 pm

No, so far I haven't updated the server.
More precisely, I won't be able to update until I am back from skiing, which is next Sunday evening!

Until then, leave all mods as they are!!

Oh and Aracth'nil, that may be a problem that I thought I had fixed before...

If it gives you the error message containing "KWmengineSPSB", then it's something I know how to fix easily.
Give me a sec.

Oh, and congrats to that mission!
I'm assuming you took a scientist and lots of fuel to jool and farmed the moons?
Should probably do that too, once I learn how to interplanetary.

And once I got my stuff from Minmus :3

Hidden Content

Sliithsss

Post by Sliithsss » January 10th, 2017, 3:34 am

My fuel refinery on Minmus is now fully operational! Feel free to stop by and fill up on your way to other planets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xasin

Post by Xasin » January 10th, 2017, 11:11 am

Well hello there Sliithsss!
Always nice to see more people on the dragon.

That station sounds perfect for long range missions - I think once I am back I'll try and launch a Minmus full station, if you don't mind?
Additionally I could try to program a KOS automated refueling ship... Buuuut that does sound a little overkill for me, if I'm honest.

(Gha, and writing the docking sequence code will be a nightmare :S)

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » January 10th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Yay! More progress on the joint comms network as I deployed antennae around Kerbin and Minmus on stations that can reach over 5Gm out. Will deploy a sun station soon. I should consider actually landing on the Mun, yet to do that (Gilly and Bop came first, less TWR needed). Space shuttle in development, probably make a ground station too on some planets.
PS I accidentally took Bill and Jeb, they're on the Minmus station now. Will ferry them back with next fuel supply.
Only 3000 science to finish the tech tree! (never done that before)
Xasin, the part causing the error message was the KW B size service module tank. What was the fix? Good luck skiing! (if it's a competition)

Xasin

Post by Xasin » January 10th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Aracth, no worries, it's not a competition.
Acrually, with my cumulative skiing experience of less than two weeks I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do well >.>
It's a school trip :D

Also, that sounds cool!
Maybe I should start trying out interplanetary instead of farming down Mun and Minmus...
But at least MechJeb's scripting module can land me, then lift off again into a high orbit for rendezvous with my refueling station, homann transfer and equalize speeds
All in one button push :D

I'll see where to go next :3

Also, the error is, from what I can tell, that DMP does not recognize those parts that throw the error when it generates the list of accepted parts.
So what I have to do is add the new parts into the list manually before I update it on the server.

Seems as if the KWRocketry fuel tank does the same as one engine I already fixed.

If you can tell me the part name that DMP reports in the error message, it should be a quick fix to add it :D

Hidden Content

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » January 11th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Need to get to sleep right now... will have part by tomorrow.
10km/s should be enough for Gilly and Duna, 15km/s will get you anywhere.
Also you probably ski better than I do... not much snow in Australia. Got to 40C today and its still over 30C outside at 12am. Have fun!

64Dragonheart64

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » January 11th, 2017, 1:48 pm

And here i am, trying to create a ship that can orbit kerbin. I'm currently using two solid fuel engines and a liquid one between them. You guys make me feel dumb!
And Aracth, i'm basically in your same situation regarding the heat and skiing! Some days ago we had like 36C and the only time i got to ski was once when we went south in my graduation trip and, in short, i fell and as i couldnt get up due to the skis, i struggled to get them off.
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.