Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

[Movie] Pete's Dragon 2016

Everything about the mythical and charming beasts!
Tarukaja
I am a: Lurker

[Movie] Pete's Dragon 2016

Post by Tarukaja » July 29th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Is anyone looking forward to checking out this movie? I'll be honest, the original was so boring I never even watched the whole thing when I was a kid; I know I'd've loved seeing a version like this though! Not sure I'm sold on the fluff aspect though, seemed like a weird choice. The theatrical release date in North America is August 12, 2016.

To keep things interesting, here's a "mocumentary" interview done by the cast about working with Elliot:
http://www.people.com/article/bryce-dal ... ckumentary

Zaktan

Re: [Movie] Pete's Dragon 2016

Post by Zaktan » July 29th, 2016, 10:31 pm

To be honest, I'm kinda miffed by how the dragon is just a giant cat with wings. It really aggravates me that the producers of these movies think that mammalian traits are good, and reptilian traits are nothing but evil. Why can't a dragon just be a dragon?

Tarukaja

Post by Tarukaja » August 4th, 2016, 10:44 pm

ZombiezuRFER wrote:To be honest, I'm kinda miffed by how the dragon is just a giant cat with wings. It really aggravates me that the producers of these movies think that mammalian traits are good, and reptilian traits are nothing but evil. Why can't a dragon just be a dragon?
Yea it sucks, that bothered me about Saphira in Eragon being feathery too. And now people want feathery dinos in the JW sequels and I just...no. NOOO lol. Some people's theory is that Disney wanted to make something furry for this movie because they wanted to reuse the rendering engine from The Jungle Book or some crap but I dunno. I do like the feral design over the derpy one from the original animated film.

AND! This really cool 360/VR video was released that simulates a ride on Elliot's back! :o It's really cool~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftPhisr9v4

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by LokiDragon » August 4th, 2016, 11:19 pm

I'm not a fan of furry reptiles generally... This thing reminds me of shadow of the colossus! It needs a glowing vulnerability point on it somewhere!

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » August 5th, 2016, 11:51 am

Less the dragon, but the video is really cool. I can just imagine watching it with a VR headset or something that would make it seem really real.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » August 14th, 2016, 5:52 pm

I usually dont like dragons with fur, they should have scales and nothing else. However I remember the first movie from when I was a little kid and how I loved it back then. Must look at this new one just for the sake of memories old.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

non-venomous

Post by non-venomous » August 16th, 2016, 7:15 am

I just saw the movie tonight.

It's an ok average flick. Nothing to write home about as I don't get why audiences are over-rating this film.

Surely not an Oscar nominee for anything but maybe the lead kid's acting performance which I thought was well done.

I won't post any spoilers ..then again, there's nothing new about the film except for the opening scene (which I didn't expect) and the fur on the dragon which we all already know about.
Just wish the trailers didn't reveal so much of Eliot ..but then I might of gagged once I saw the fur! It's something I had a hard time acquiring a taste for, I mean why make him all fuzzy? Looks like "Clifford the big green dog" with wings. :lol:

Kids will still love it thou, so if you're one at heart it's probably worth the price of admission, but not for 3D. It's just not needed for this kind of slow paced story, and certainly not a real spectacle for 3D like HTTYD were, though Pete's Dragon does borrows some of the same emotional elements which is becoming more cliche' ..but wasn't too bad to watch nonetheless.

Not a keeper for me but as for my personal rating, I give it C+

Rasalom
I am a: Author

Post by Rasalom » August 16th, 2016, 8:07 am

I mean why make him all fuzzy?
'Cuz it's a " Disney's family picture"
Furry dragon is so cute, cuddly and all... :?
Last edited by Rasalom on August 17th, 2016, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...

non-venomous

Post by non-venomous » August 16th, 2016, 8:27 am

Thanks, heheh.. but that question was meant to be rhetorical. Anyway yeah, that's Disney's implying scales bad, fur good to the child audience, as if a feathered t-rex wasn't bad enough.

Dragonhunter4321
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by Dragonhunter4321 » August 16th, 2016, 8:40 am

Well, some reptiles look good with fur/fethers... just not alot of it....
I once asked God for a bike, but I know that's not how God works. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » August 16th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Author's choice I guess. But I can't imagine how a full 2-3hr film in VR would feel like. That would be something to watch. Literally different each time, maybe a few Easter eggs, maybe even an element of choice! (Dunno, is that just a video game?)
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Nabalazs

Post by Nabalazs » August 17th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Am I the only one whi sees Sullivan from monsters INC in the dragon's face? I mean, look at it. Big jaw, dull fangs... You guys complain that furred dragon is not that good dragon. And I agree. But for me thats secondary. The face of the dragon bothers me. Compare it to anything from HTTYD, and you find NO resemblence! If I didnt know better, I WOULD have believed that this is Clifford the big green flying dog.
Can I have a fish please?