Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

You and Dragons

Everything about the mythical and charming beasts!
Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

You and Dragons

Post by Aracth'nil » August 24th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Let me give you a scenario.
If you were given the choice to be a dragon rider in a world similar to that in 'Eragon', but had to spend the rest of your lifetime running, training or fighting (responsibilities after all), would you accept?
(Basically would you be Eragon with more insecurity in your life?)
Reasons?
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Dragonhunter4321
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Re: You and Dragons

Post by Dragonhunter4321 » August 25th, 2016, 1:34 am

Uuhm... sorry but no. I love dragons, but with so much responsibility and work, I don't think I'd have it in me to do much. I'm a lazy person though. Give me an hour or two and I may say hell yeah!
I once asked God for a bike, but I know that's not how God works. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Rasalom
I am a: Author

Post by Rasalom » August 25th, 2016, 5:20 am

Well...
The thing is I would never put a saddle on the dragon and ride him/her...
...It that way, at least.
That would be like demoting them from a powerful, independent creature into a lowly mount.
That's not my style.
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...

Raiden

Post by Raiden » August 25th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Rasalom wrote:The thing is I would never put a saddle on the dragon and ride him/her...
Same. If I was given the chance to be a dragon rider , I'd probably refuse. I couldn't bring myself to turn freedom incarnate into a mere mount. If I were given the choice to be the companion of a dragon however, I'd probably say yes in a moments notice. If the dragon is my friend, my companion, and would let me ride him/her, then I'm more then happy to oblige.
Friends because I am his rider: Don't like
I am his rider, because we're friends: Very much like.
This might seem like splitting hairs, but for me it's an important difference.

Well, if I'd ACTUALLY say yes or no would need a little bit more discussion. Because it would mean leaving everything behind, and to be honest, I don't know if I could do that. The selfish, egoistic part of me would scream "DO IT" at the top of his lungs, but I don't think I could bring myself to abandon my friends, my family and yes, even my work, because of this.... Well, depending on how long I'd have time to choose, I'd probably say yes anyway, but only after a proper goodbye and tying up all loose ends.
A man may change, but mankind always stays the same.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » August 25th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Note: I was more going for the "I ride the dragon if it lets me, but we're friends" approach.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Angel

Post by Angel » August 26th, 2016, 1:20 am

Yeah, sure. I would ride the dragon and fuck her if she'd be into that. :D After all, the dragon and rider usually have the special bond (in fiction they do anyway) which does not exclude romantic relationship, huh. ^^
I would be all for that if I had nobody else.
Angel
Tulpa.info advisor for Herpy.nu on tulpa phenomenon

Rasalom

Post by Rasalom » August 26th, 2016, 5:30 am

Raiden wrote:If the dragon is my friend, my companion, and would let me ride him/her, then I'm more then happy to oblige.
Yea, well... If the dragon would insist, then who am I to deny'em, right? :3
But still. I would feel rather awkward doing so.
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » September 1st, 2016, 8:42 am

For me personally I would game the thing, but let it have its freedoms mostly, I'll figure out a way to mount and dismount the saddle somewhat quick. Like a horse I guess? Let it roam free but when I want to ride, I simply mount the saddle. I would have to have a job that pays. Sheep ain't cheap if you know what I mean :P
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

Switchstart

Post by Switchstart » October 17th, 2016, 7:33 pm

I probably wouldn't. Unless I knew them as a friend and beforehand, and there was a mutual agreement between both parties, and also if I was fully aware of what I was getting myself into in terms of the training and fighting part of it.

The questions I would be asking myself would be...

How well do I know then and vice versa?
What plans do I have for my future and how important are they. If so, Can these plans modified in any way to be modified in any way to fit in with the training/fighting?
Are there any family /friends that I will be able to stay in contact with?
Will this have a genuine positive effect on my relationship with the dragon, if not will it remain the same?

Awnsering no to any of the lower 3 questions without a very good reason would likely result in me having to turn down the oppurtunity to take this position.

To sum it up, I would only take up the position of a rider if I was able to somehow continue living my existing life and not affect my relationship with the dragon in a negative manner in any way.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » January 19th, 2017, 4:41 am

I think I'm with most people here. I would gladly ride a dragon if it offered me. In both ways, heheheh~
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Ishiah

Post by Ishiah » January 23rd, 2017, 6:20 am

Being a dragon rider is like my ultimate fantasy!

If I lived in a fantasy world with dragons I would do all in my power to make them apart of my life. I am particularly fond of stories on which some knight reluctantly teams up with a dragon and they end up being best buds.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » January 23rd, 2017, 10:10 am

Oh sheesh, I just got this dark image in my head right now xD

You seek their attention desperately, but no one is really interested in you at all so you just get abused and sort-of raped by big brutal dragons who laugh at your desperation afterwards xD
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.