Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

When did you start liking dragons so much?

Everything about the mythical and charming beasts!
Ishiah

When did you start liking dragons so much?

Post by Ishiah » September 8th, 2016, 5:50 am

I'm curious how other people became attracted to dragons. There were some threads similar to this on the old forums that made me feel better about my interest in dragons.

I've been a big daydreamer since I can remember. At some point in middle school I read the Eragon series, and I started adding dragons to all my daydreams. I would spend hours each day telling stories to myself about dragons. I effectively had an imaginary friend, and I would zone out during class or at home and pretend to go on adventures with dragons. I read a lot of other fantasy books and manga, and I would steal the plot of whatever I was reading and add dragons to it. I particularly liked stories about knights and dragons reluctantly becoming friends. I sort of figured I would stop being so obsessed with dragons, but it's been over a decade and I still daydream about dragons every day. At this point I have to accept that I'm just an eccentric fellow and the dragons ain't going away.

I think a lot of people on Herpy like dragons in different ways, so I think it'll be interesting to read how others became interested.

P.S. I don't even like the Eragon series anymore. I cringe whenever I read it now, but I love the underlying narrative of a dragon meeting it's rider.

Drakkir
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open for trades

Re: When did you start liking dragons so much?

Post by Drakkir » September 9th, 2016, 3:15 am

I don't know exactly when I came to loving dragons so much, but I do remember wanting to fly very badly when I was younger. I always made coments like, "I would take a hang glider off that if I could."

Eventually I came to love and admire dragons and have ever since.

Dragons to many people represent power and wealth. Dragons to me represent freedom, authority, and prosperity.

DrachenFyr

Post by DrachenFyr » November 12th, 2016, 8:12 pm

When I was younger (I think around 7-8) I would write stories about different things, whatever came into my mind. Around half of these stories have dragons in them, so around that time I was really fascinated by dragons (possibly because of the old Spyro games on PS1, I played them a lot).

Unfortunately for me to say I lost interest in them somehow, although when I was 15 my love for them was rekindled, much stronger than when I was young. I'm not entirely sure what did it, but I couldn't stop thinking about them and everything about them for quite a long while.
Aim high in life, but watch out for flying boxes.

MantleAkita

Post by MantleAkita » December 9th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Iv'e always liked them, What made me begin to like them more was Skyrim. Yes I know theyre "Wyverns" But they're still nonetheless awesome :)
Just an Everyday Talking Dog! Bark Bark Woof Woof! Now if you Excuse me, I have a Tennis Ball to chase! *Runs off*

Xaithis
I am a: Author

Post by Xaithis » December 26th, 2016, 1:06 am

When I was young I don't really remember directly loving dragons, however I always had strange desires to have wings and things which most people found strange, so I didn't really talk about it. When I was a bit older, I found myself drawing (or at least attempting) dragons and reading anything I could find where dragons were given a personality. It was when I was a bit older as well that I discovered... That side of my love. Also, I realised that I was a dragon, which I wasn't happy with at first, as I was in a seemingly dire situation - stuck in a human body. Then though, I progressively started enjoying dragons and nearly anything to do with them more and more, and that trend still continues today.
Typical Session...
PC - "I run towards the lasers!"
Me (DM) - <starts finding a new character sheet>

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » December 27th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Xaithis wrote:When I was young I don't really remember directly loving dragons, however I always had strange desires to have wings and things which most people found strange, so I didn't really talk about it. When I was a bit older, I found myself drawing (or at least attempting) dragons and reading anything I could find where dragons were given a personality. It was when I was a bit older as well that I discovered... That side of my love. Also, I realised that I was a dragon, which I wasn't happy with at first, as I was in a seemingly dire situation - stuck in a human body. Then though, I progressively started enjoying dragons and nearly anything to do with them more and more, and that trend still continues today.
First part is kind of like me... I want wings :( to the extent that I would connect my nerve system to it if I could and graft the wings, would be cool. Then I found Eragon, and Herpy.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Ishiah

Post by Ishiah » December 28th, 2016, 2:10 am

I can relate to the desire for wings. As a kid (also presently) I remember wanting to have a tail really badly.

Heh, I wonder if Paolini is aware of how many kids he turned into 'dracophiles'.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 28th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Ishiah wrote:I can relate to the desire for wings. As a kid (also presently) I remember wanting to have a tail really badly.

Heh, I wonder if Paolini is aware of how many kids he turned into 'dracophiles'.
Well he knows the fanbase is huge, so he must guess theres going to be something like Herpy out there...
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Xaithis

Post by Xaithis » December 30th, 2016, 9:37 pm

As bizarre as this may be, I've never read the inheritance cycle, is it a good book series? I've heard so from some people that it's good, but that it tapers off in the later books apparently.
Typical Session...
PC - "I run towards the lasers!"
Me (DM) - <starts finding a new character sheet>

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 31st, 2016, 2:08 pm

Xaithis wrote:As bizarre as this may be, I've never read the inheritance cycle, is it a good book series? I've heard so from some people that it's good, but that it tapers off in the later books apparently.
I wouldn't say it tapers, except for maybe the second book. (Many second books, song hit or work is worse than the first though) I find on reading it again so many plot threads from the first bool picked up a decade later in the fourth, and a fifth is planned. Expect to be reading for a while though, which is why I think many people find the later books worse. It really tests your stamina.
However, I would say the length is the beauty of it, because the book makes you feel like you know the world and charactrrs well. I would recommend it (but not the movie. Never the movie)

Rasalom

Post by Rasalom » December 31st, 2016, 4:22 pm

As bizarre as this may be, I've never read the inheritance cycle, is it a good book series? I've heard so from some people that it's good, but that it tapers off in the later books apparently.
It's horrible, if you ask me.
The amount of plagiarisms, and the banality of the story whatsoever...
Well. I won't recommend it.
That's my opinion, though.
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » January 1st, 2017, 1:52 pm

Rasalom wrote:
It's horrible, if you ask me.
The amount of plagiarisms, and the banality of the story whatsoever...
Well. I won't recommend it.
That's my opinion, though.
Plagarisms? (Put the comment in a spoiler)
I don't know the extent of it, but everything relies on something else to start, and besides, he couldn't have gone so wrong... it was a New York Times bestseller after all.