Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

When did you start liking dragons so much?

Everything about the mythical and charming beasts!
Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Re: When did you start liking dragons so much?

Post by Aracth'nil » January 1st, 2017, 1:52 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Rasalom wrote:
As bizarre as this may be, I've never read the inheritance cycle, is it a good book series? I've heard so from some people that it's good, but that it tapers off in the later books apparently.
It's horrible, if you ask me.
The amount of plagiarisms, and the banality of the story whatsoever...
Well. I won't recommend it.
That's my opinion, though.
Plagarisms? (Put the comment in a spoiler)
I don't know the extent of it, but everything relies on something else to start, and besides, he couldn't have gone so wrong... it was a New York Times bestseller after all.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Rasalom
I am a: Author

Post by Rasalom » January 1st, 2017, 5:45 pm

Have you read Ursula K.LeGuin's Earthsea saga?
If you did, then you know what I mean saying plagiarism.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg...
I mean I could look past it, if the author become better and better with time, but he became worse and worse with each volume.
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...

Xaithis

Post by Xaithis » January 9th, 2017, 12:36 am

To me I don't mind if there is some form of plagiarism, of course, the sources should be given credit; if it's a good book though, then it is still worth reading.
I look at it like this - at some point or another one work has copied another, one invention has built upon another. For example, I could say that most modern RPG video games are plagiarising the TTRPG D&D, and the concepts it created, then again I can just as easily say that D&D was inspired by Lord of the Rings canon, which I can go on to say was inspired by old legends such as Beowulf, and so on... What matters is that the new idea or content gives something new. Yes, they should give credit to their basis, but then again, sadly very few people do in this world.
Typical Session...
PC - "I run towards the lasers!"
Me (DM) - <starts finding a new character sheet>

Rasalom

Post by Rasalom » January 9th, 2017, 9:01 am

Yea, but there is a fine line between inspiration, franchise, and plagiarism.
For example:
When I've created my draconic race - Dra'Hen, had almost everything done, but couldn't come up with naming convention. I didn't want to do things the easy way, putting in bunch of tongue-twisters like Episkryp'phiael, or Akulatraxas, or whatever. I've always envisioned draconic language to be simple; snarly-hissly like, but simple. So it'll roll off the tongue easily. I came up with few iterations, but they all stank. I mean you think about them, then throw them away. Then, while playing Sword of the Stars, a tactical battle loading screen came up to me, carring a sign "Rasalom vs. Legions of Var'Lsh Tho'Oor".
...Var'Lsh Tho'Oor...
Var'Lsh...
Var... Lsh...
Yes! That's it!
It's just beautifull. Snarly-hissly-thingy, rolls easily off the tongue, and looks exotic. Within next 4 hrs. or so I come up with entire language, grammar, naming conventions, writing... Everything.
That's an inspiration. Taking a small bit of the stuff, and expanding on it.

Now the franchise, or should I say "falling in the genre".
The fact is this is actually pretty straight-forward.
Someone came up with idea for a story... Let's say Star Wars, right? George Lucas created original Star Wars, but when you look on the all of the expanded universe books, you'll see that they have different authors. Timothy Zahn, Michael Kogge and such. A bunch of people that are not George Lucas, nor are associated with him in any way. But their stories fit in the same universe. They bring something in it.
And the original copyright owner agreed to them. (I'm guessing a cyvil law contract) between them, that stated something on the line of: You're allowed to create stories resident in the universe under certain conditions listed here... (list of terms)
If both sides agrees to them, you're good to go.

Then we've got plagiarism. Someone read your story, and then took pieces of it and published as his own. He/she didn't created it, but took from someone else. And creativity is really tough piece of bread, if you know what I mean. Hard work (know it from personal experience).
And someone stole that from you... Took it, and made it his. A bit rude, wouldn't you agree?

Like I've said already I could look past it if the books were any good, but reading through the first one - Eragon I was cringing time after time. Then I told to myself "Okay, he was fifteen, so it's okay... ish. But the second book came up, and at the half of it I've finally went like "To hell with this!"
The next day I posted on OLX (polish E-bay) both volumes, mint condition... For free.
...And no one wanted it.
I still have them to this day, and don't know what to do with them...
If I would be younger, maybe I would use them pages to build paper models, or something... :?

Xaithis

Post by Xaithis » January 10th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Ah, so sections have literally just been copied... That's a shame, I'd heard quite a bit about it from other people. Then again none of them have read the earthsea books.
Typical Session...
PC - "I run towards the lasers!"
Me (DM) - <starts finding a new character sheet>

Acostor

Post by Acostor » January 10th, 2017, 9:37 pm

I remember when I was younger I ether dreamed of or got from somewhere, a story where a rider would choose an egg out of a den, and that would be his/her dragon. Since then I’ve been looking for that thing of which I got that story from. This story also made me view dragons as a friend. Now, I would not constantly think of dragons, but whenever I would see a book or movie with dragons, I would take a look at it and see if I have finally found the source of this story I remember.

The Eragon movie didn’t quite catch my attention, and Dragonheart was good, but it wasn’t what I was looking for. It wasn’t until How To Train Your Dragon that I really got excited about dragons. It was not the story I was looking for, but it caught my attention none the less. I saw all the movies, mini series, TV shows, and totally fell in love with Toothless. After a while I started to feel like something was missing, an emptiness inside me grew. Then one day I was looking at images of toothless on Google and I saw an image of toothless giving himself a nice messy bj. I have previously seen this image before, but didn’t think much of it, but this time I was intrigued and decided to check out the site it came from. This site was called the Herpy Archive, and I was hooked immediately.

After my encounter with Herpy, my love for dragons has greatly increased. To this day, I still have not found the story I’m looking for, but I’m glad it kept me interested in dragons long enough to find Herpy. If anyone knows of the story I’m referring to please tell me I’d greatly appreciate it.
You may not realize how much you love something until you lose it. So if you find it, never let go.

Steam account: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198254747403/

Shizukaiyo

Post by Shizukaiyo » January 11th, 2017, 12:09 am

Honestly, it wasn't through any books that I first got into contact with dragons. I just played a Spyro game when I was... around 8 to 10 years old, and that was the spark, really.

Rasalom

Post by Rasalom » January 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Ah, so sections have literally just been copied... That's a shame, I'd heard quite a bit about it from other people. Then again none of them have read the earthsea books.
Not necessarily word-on-word, a copy-paste thing, but for example the magic mechanics.
Magic being a "true names" of things. Knowing something's true name gives you the power over it.
Honestly, it wasn't through any books that I first got into contact with dragons. I just played a Spyro game when I was... around 8 to 10 years old, and that was the spark, really.
Same here.
I actually wrote about it in the similar topic.
For me it was Final Fantasy VII and VIII, or more specifically a Bahamut summon... (in IX i felt like it lost it's touch, for some reason...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_Xh2jTykA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZefzfRt4o

And it went on from there...

Ahhh, Bahamut...
King of Dragons...

Paarthurnax

Post by Paarthurnax » January 16th, 2017, 3:57 pm

I started liking dragons back in 95

Valcyrie
Site Admin
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » January 19th, 2017, 4:24 am

I've loved dragons for as long as I can remember. First encounter that I still can recall is watching Pete's Dragon as a kid and I remember seeing myself as a dragon "like Elliott". I also loved dinosaurs and collected on as many as I could in my early years. Had toys, figurines, posters, books... anything dragon & dino, basically. When I was a little older, around 10 or so, I also started taking a interest in snakes. Different from other kids I was never afraid around them, but rather fascinated by how the scales felt against my fingers, and the movements of their powerful bodies.

And then it was time to become a teen, and my interest in dragons rose to... new levels <.-.< However - for some strange reason, one might think - I was not and still am not very attracted to snakes or dinasours. Dragons are my main trade xD And ever since I was a teen, I've enjoyed myself while thinking fo them in different situations, feral and anthro alike.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Switchstart
I am a: Lurker

Post by Switchstart » April 2nd, 2017, 3:30 pm

My obsession began in my late teens and is believed to have started out out as a mild obsession with argonians. The earliest that I can remember my obsession starting was when I was given a small dragon ornament by my father back in 2009 and it was from that point it remained minor until the end of 2011 when I bought Skyrim, it was only after this point that it really took off.

However, I didn't cross over to the dark side until I found the Herpy gallery in 2012.