Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Dragons in Popular Culture

Everything about the mythical and charming beasts!
Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Dragons in Popular Culture

Post by Aracth'nil » February 4th, 2017, 12:12 pm

A lot of people were talking about popular culture and dragons, so I thought I would start a similar thread. What do people think about popular culture's portrayal of dragons, whether book, film or game? Any particular highlights?
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

64Dragonheart64

Re: Dragons in Popular Culture

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » February 4th, 2017, 1:39 pm

For me, Draco was the one i liked the most. You know, he was portrayed as an intelligent and sentient creature, capable of forming a relationship with you, and he was not yearning for power, even though he could get it. That's my favored portrayal of dragons, and as such, the ones that are portrayed as crude, savage beasts are the ones i strongly dislike. Oh, and also i hate that in the majority of times they have to be killed.
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.

Saber
I am a: Author

Re: Dragons in Popular Culture

Post by Saber » February 4th, 2017, 6:43 pm

I've seen that in most recent books and films that dragons are taking on more of a role than just a "scary, fire-breathing monster" in popular culture. For the "normies", dragons have typically been the villainous antagonists that steal princesses and hoard gold. However, that iconic depiction appears to be changing with more and more authors/filmmakers portraying dragons as more than that.

Draco from "Dragonheart" is an early example of this change in film. He doesn't only play a key role in the story as a protagonist, but he also was given a unique personality. It's obvious that in this world dragons are intelligent beings capable of more than just wreaking havoc.

With Smaug in "The Hobbit" series, he's still an 'evil', treasure-hoarding, fire-breathing dragon (*coughs* wyvern), but he has a personality and a purpose. He is as unique and just as detailed as the other characters, though we only get to see him and his magnificence on screen for only so long. Being an antagonist, his role doesn't stray too far from the 'popular' opinion on dragons, but he is far from being mindless.

Eragon is probably one of the most remarkable stories in this regard. It brought dragons into a new light as wise, sentient beings that I found to be superior to the other races, as far as strength and intelligence goes. They have their own goals and motivations, even if they are tied with their rider. The movie was a complete and utter flop, but even so it showed that Saphira wasn't just a mindless beast. She had her own voice in the story and took a role as a main protagonist.

I don't think the "Wings of Fire" series isn't as popular as the previous three, but I want to include this because these stories have their place in popular culture too. And the best part about the series is that humans play a very, very minor role! In fact, they aren't even called humans but 'scavengers' in that world. Dragons are the primary inhabitants of their world, and Sutherland does an excellent job of portraying them with human characteristics.

And as far as games go, there are still quite a few of them where dragons are just mindless beasts. Scalebound was going to be a refreshing change of pace, but sadly that won't happen. Skyrim, being one of the most popular video games with dragons (*COUGHS* wyverns) in it, follows along the popular opinion of portraying them as antagonists to the story. However, they aren't mindless beasts, as they have their own language.

I'm sure I probably missed a really popular title or something, but these are the subjects that I have some experience in.

I think that the popular opinion of dragons is gradually shifting into something more of my tastes. ^-^ I personally don't mind having evil dragons around as long as they're given the respect they deserve as well as the intellectual equivalent of a human or greater.
Hello! Dragon here. Rawr!