Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

What makes Dragons so majestic? (Possibly NSFW)

Everything about the mythical and charming beasts!
Sil'thaera

What makes Dragons so majestic? (Possibly NSFW)

Post by Sil'thaera » July 6th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Seriously, what IS it about these creatures that do captivates us?

Dragons have been part of human lore, myth, legend and imagination for thousands of years, in cultures from *all over the world*.

So, I'm asking all you dracophiles out there:

"What makes a dragon inspire awe in you?"

Now, I'm more curious as to *non-sexual* attraction, but I *totally* understand their sex appeal, too ;p

So, try to keep this thread NSFW free, but I understand if you want to mention a dragon/esses' more 'feral' attributes - just don't focus *entirely* on the matter, mkay? :3
"May your dragonfire burn brightly." - Sil'thaera

https://www.furaffinity.net/user/sil-thaera/ ---> My FurAffinity page (may contain NSFW content)

Mazrogal

Re: What makes Dragons so majestic? (Possibly NSFW)

Post by Mazrogal » July 6th, 2016, 7:17 pm

I like dragons because i feel connected with em having a soul of one myself inside me And well i like they are strong, cunning, and wise.

My inner dragon is one reason i started taking my health more serious also ( was a fat pudgy drake) but now thanks to gym workouts 3-5 days per week i'm on the right track to become fit again.

What more i find appealing hmm i like the tails how they are flexible, I like the wings i like the snouts yeah i like just about everything about em.

have no drawing skills myself but find dragon art really amazing weather its SFW or NSFW don't care which i just love how different people draw dragons in all kinds of styles and color. have seen Rainbow dragons, water dragons and its so fun to see all different kinds of dragons!

i've had Mazrogal inside my mind and dreams for as long as i can remember and a couple of years ago i finally could afford a artist to draw my black drake. He's not any special kind of dragon he's just how i would picture myself in dragonform.

Only thing i dislike is western culture always depicting dragons as kidnapping a princess locking her up in a castle and waiting for a shining white knight to free her.

I feel eastern culture has more respect for dragons as the noble creature they deserve to be :)
''Life is a struggle sometimes just push through and fight never give up''

My steamprofile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mazrogal Feel free to send a friend request^^

Mallis
I am a: Artist

Post by Mallis » July 6th, 2016, 8:23 pm

For me dragons represent a life of knowledge, strength, magic and most importantly, freedom. There isn't too much that can stop them, aside from powerful weapons, traps and maybe magic? Dragons can simply wander, swim or fly to their desired land and make it their home. They are generally known to live longer lives, sometimes maybe even lasting to a thousand years or more. With such long lives comes knowledge that is gained from the many years of life and experiences. And to be honest, dragons are very beautiful creatures. The variations of scales, wing types, horns, spike, fins etc... make all for such majestic creatures. Dragons live the life that I could only dream of.

Edit by Valcyrie: Change of text color.

Rendrassa

Post by Rendrassa » July 6th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Like above, I believe the freedom. Just spread your wings or dive into dark waters or slink into the forgotten places. A dragon does not worry about the petty stresses we deal with each day. A dragon does not mope about things that cannot be changed, they go out and do something about it! I like that fire, that unstoppable lust for life, which encompasses both passion for life and a sexual nature.
Clicky? Image

System Error Message

Post by System Error Message » July 7th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Dragons were a source of power, wisdom and guidance. Now after extinction dragons are depicted as cute. What do you guys think of dragons being shown like twilight?

Rendrassa

Post by Rendrassa » July 8th, 2016, 5:30 am

Well, I play Flight Rising and DragonVale, so I'm not really against it. I guess I separate them into two categories: realistic ones I admire, and cute ones I "d'awww!" over. '^. .^
Clicky? Image

Tera

Post by Tera » July 8th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Traditional lore about dragons. They conquer kingdoms and villages, they're apex predators, they hoard treasures and pretty much do whatever the heck it wants. That sense of freedom, domination and power? Yeah, they're pretty badass creatures that nobody should mess around with or they will meet a fiery end. Well.. thats most about the western dragons, eastern dragons in the Asian culture are more like a symbol of luck, strength and wealthy so there's that as well. Graceful as hell. So yeah, I know its a short opinion but thats what I pretty much think of em and why they're majestic.
and.. i do have a small soft spot for the cute dragons as well ahaha.
Nissan GT-R

gryphon
Commissions: Open for trades

Post by gryphon » July 11th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Well, in my opinion, their body structure, their ability to flight (if we're talking about 'classic' western dragons). I wouldn't like to talk about such thing as magic, super-extremely intelligence, developed sensory organs, etc since this is a purely personal view on dragon. As for me, well, I still consider them as mammals, not reptiles, even they have scales. For me their wings, their ability to flight... Well, every time as I imagine it, I feel this as some kind of challenge for me which gives me strength to work under my secondary (personal) scientific work. I also can not fail to mention their body: their usually long body with the same long tail (Should I say that I like their tails?), horns... Well, I really like their bodies.
FA | DA | FN | "Nothing is impossible, if you have sufficient resources"

Rasalom
I am a: Author

Post by Rasalom » July 24th, 2016, 6:09 am

Hm... That's really hard to say, actually.
I've always imagined them as a sentient beings, with their own culture, language, and so on; equal or greater than human. But still retaining their predatorial nature. Their extreme longevity. The way they're so powerfull and so gentle at the same time...
I could talk much on the topic of their appereance, but that would result in NSFW content so I won't go there.

For me it's a mixture of yearning for something you won't be able to attain... but try regardless, and physical atraction... :roll:
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » July 30th, 2016, 2:26 pm

I think just the freedom they have through flight and the grand traditions that they have usually are awe inspiring. Its like when you go to see some old grand structure like Pompeii or the Parthenon and it makes you feel inspired.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » August 14th, 2016, 6:16 pm

For me, a Dragon is a creature of extreme power and prowess. Their physical strength for one, their thick scales for protection. The ability to swim, walk and fly. Powerful natural weapons such as fangs, claws and breath weapon makes the dragon a truly awesome creature. Combine that with intellgience, great wisdom, cunning and magic you have a creature that glows with dominance and power, making it majestic to our eyes.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Draco Solis
I am a: Musician

Post by Draco Solis » October 7th, 2016, 9:46 pm

I remember this question was asked at one point on the old forum and I left a rather detailed response to it. I really wish I could get that back, but I'll try and recapture my point as best as I can here.

Basically, I always saw dragons as a creature that perfectly captures and blends many different things together: beauty, elegance, power, freedom, etc. They can be many things at once; they can be raging beasts that lay waste to entire lands one moment, and then another moment they can be kind, graceful creatures that almost perfectly capture the beauty of nature. They are animals, and yet they possess intelligence that can match or even exceed our own (then again, we are technically animals ourselves). I've always held the elegance and beauty of dragons close to my heart and to me their elegance, in a way, is where their attribute of power comes from. Not to mention it is possible for dragons to be completely adorable without resorting to oversimplification, in my eyes (in fact, I'd go to say that oversimplification can even take away from it). The idea of freedom that comes from them is also one to inspire awe. They aren't really limited by much; there's nothing stopping them from just spreading their wings and going wherever the hell they want to and doing whatever they want, living their lives out the way they want to.

To be honest, I've never really enjoyed the overdesigned fantasy dragons that I've occasionally seen in media, more specifically in video games and fantasy art. While it does indeed look cool, it takes away what makes me so attached to dragons and what, in my eyes, makes dragons so majestic. In my eyes, dragon's don't need a whole bunch of spikes, a ginormous size, and oversized scales in order to be majestic and powerful. While some additional details are perfectly fine and can further enhance their overall look, I feel as though a simple dragon with a rather elegant design is more than capable of delivering on all aspects that makes a dragon majestic if it wanted to.

There's probably more I could go on about and I'll probably edit this if anything comes to mind, but this is what I've got so far. ^.=.^
o.o
I does a stare~