Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

"Unconcious speciesism"

Everything about the mythical and charming beasts!
Koatliqua
I am a: Author
Commissions: Open

Re: "Unconcious speciesism"

Post by Koatliqua » June 10th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

If iwe had been sitting there waiting for a conversation to start then yes, I would have accepted if nobody spoke to us. What was frustrating was that we were trying to chat with them, we were very polite and genuine, and it was like drawing blood from a stone. I'm not surprised, I imagine most people in these groups have been bullied at some point in their lives and friends don't come easily so when some "normal" people come by and start chatting they're not going to be too warm given their history.

As much as it may seem useful to allow autistic people to escape reality, is that something we should be encouraging? Yes, escapism is nice, but it's something that ought to be confined to books and games and movies. When you separate yourself from reality and place a barrier up, it results in problems.

I'm writing this from the perspective of someone without autism, and I imagine we're in the minority in the scalie interest.
Like dew or a flash of lightning;
Thus we shall perceive them.

Check out my blog! ~ https://jasminesgarage.wordpress.com/

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Re: "Unconcious speciesism"

Post by LokiDragon » June 11th, 2017, 12:38 am

I'd agree with you that the barrier thing is in no way a good thing, but it's how some people cope with things. I mean I've met the one or two furries in our small town they all seem to find being outgoing difficult and are unsure how to handle being talked to, so I'm sure I can offer a solution or anything other than it's easier to be yourself when hidden from view... I guess some people can't cope without the curtain. Probably why so many are more comfortable with their fursuits than being themselves. Or maybe I'm just being very blunt with the whole thing! :?