Herpy.nu forums are still not fully operational. To stay updated, follow me at https://twitter.com/ValkyrianArts

Snakes in your area?

"You're a lizard, Harry!" (and other fabulous scaly creatures)
Rendrassa
I am a: Artist

Snakes in your area?

Post by Rendrassa » August 4th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Posting this partly because seeing no topics here is bugging me, and also because I'm just curious. What kinds of snakes live where you do? Here in central Oklahoma, we have eight venomous snakes and much more non-venemous.

Never seen a rattler in RL, thankfully, though I have spotted a few water moccasins while fishing as a kid with my dad. Much more common (and pleasant) to see are these garter snakes. Some used to find their way into a house I used to live in. I'd know because the cats would find it first. Always wanted to keep them instead of putting them back out. Cats wanted to keep them, too! XD

So, what about you guys? Post some snake encounter stories or just enlighten us on what lives near you. Bring on da sneks! :3
Clicky? Image

Dragonhunter4321
Commissions: Open

Re: Snakes in your area?

Post by Dragonhunter4321 » August 5th, 2016, 5:39 am

I'm not going to say where I live, but I feel no problem with letting you know the snakes in the area...

First and formost are the dimondbacks, rattle snakes. They like hiding in little cubbies up in the hills where I live. Very easy to come apon then up there. You can avoid them easily, as long as you don't leave the trails. Next are the garter snakes, all over this area. They are found almost year round. Then there are king snakes (the black kind, not the coral-impersonating ones). My mother once told me she had cought one and left it in a box outside her door. The next day it was coiled around the door knob and was lunging at anyone who came close. Other than those, I am not too familiar with the local snakes.
I once asked God for a bike, but I know that's not how God works. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Werecrocodile

Post by Werecrocodile » August 5th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Well I live all the way in [redacted] (Louisiana) and well (looks at pile of water moccasins) I get quite a few of water moccasins and copper heads ,both of them are venomous and seem to hate me for eternity.

There was also one time I found a big (4 ft) ball python in my yard I took it home only finding my neighbor lost his some how and gave it back then I found a baby garter snake by it biting my elbow and me screaming for my mom( I was like 12) and yeah that is pretty much all I have to say.
Last edited by Werecrocodile on August 13th, 2016, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn dein deutsch wie ich dich das liest kannst du Verwenden Sie kein Google Translate. Verlierer
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » August 6th, 2016, 3:02 pm

All I can say is Australia. I live in coastal NSW, south of Newcastle (going to keep it vague) and we have poisonous snakes a lot. Hell, people find snakes in houses, schools, snakes everywhere. Although not always poisonous, living near the bush doesn't help.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 13th, 2016, 2:33 am

simple garden snakes here, go to the eastern part though theres rattlesnakes
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

Rendrassa

Post by Rendrassa » August 13th, 2016, 10:20 pm

General location, Kraken?
Clicky? Image

Krakenthekrab

Post by Krakenthekrab » August 13th, 2016, 10:41 pm

Rendrassa wrote:General location, Kraken?
Washington, Seattle area
Whatever you do, DONT SCRATCH THE PAINT!

Rendrassa

Post by Rendrassa » August 14th, 2016, 7:25 am

Ah. Well, might look into that area, if there are so few venoms. :3
Clicky? Image

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » August 14th, 2016, 4:41 pm

There are a few common where I live.

First out is this handsome but dangerous little creeper, a regular viper

Then we have this sexy little beast, a black viper

And then, this cute and lovely and also totally harmless (they might bite, but are not venomous) li'l bugger
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Corvus
I am a: Lurker

Post by Corvus » August 15th, 2016, 4:16 pm

While on a fishing trip last year, my group of friends ended up finding a rattlesnake while fishing during the middle of the night. Initially, we were all worried since we were a long way from the nearest hospital, but then two of said friends ended up channeling their inner rednecks and came to a (stupid) realization; it has meat, we can eat!

Using an improvised spear fashioned from a broken fishing rod, a swiss army knife and some fishing wire, they tried to kill the snake while it was still in the hole they found it in. Unfortunately for my friends, the hole was deeper than they thought, so they ended up losing the snake when it went deeper. After that, we went back to fishing with the friend who organized promising to bring a gun next time.

Four guns and 13 months later, our group which was bigger this time ended up finding another rattlesnake hiding under a rock by the Columbia. The only reason we saw it was because the water rose to where it was hiding and drove it out. This time we left it alone, mostly because the area we were fishing at was busier than the place we fished at last year which left shooting it out of the question.
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!...
Ad Infinitum.

Rendrassa

Post by Rendrassa » August 16th, 2016, 3:48 am

Ooh, that black viper IS a sexy beast.

Man, Corvus. What general area was this in?
Clicky? Image