Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Best beginner lizard for a budding herpetophile?

"You're a lizard, Harry!" (and other fabulous scaly creatures)
Sil'thaera

Best beginner lizard for a budding herpetophile?

Post by Sil'thaera » July 6th, 2016, 6:49 pm

So, I've been thinking about getting a lizard of some kind to add to my little 'zoo', haha.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've never owned a lizard, just my corn snake.

Would it better to start with one of the gecko family, or one of the larger lizards?

Any advice is welcome!
"May your dragonfire burn brightly." - Sil'thaera

https://www.furaffinity.net/user/sil-thaera/ ---> My FurAffinity page (may contain NSFW content)

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Re: Best beginner lizard for a budding herpetophile?

Post by Valcyrie » July 6th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Leopard geckos and bearded dragons are good "beginner" lizards :)
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Saber

Post by Saber » July 6th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Bearded dragons are awesome! I've been wanting to get one, but I keep putting it off. :/ They're pretty easy to take care of, and their habitat isn't anything too difficult to set up. As long as you do your research beforehand, they would make a great beginner pet. =3
Hello! Dragon here. Rawr!

Sil'thaera

Post by Sil'thaera » July 7th, 2016, 10:53 am

I've seen some really adorable geckos at my local petshops, and also a basilisk lizard or two (omg I love their long toes :3).

And I think an ... Amazon's anole??? Bright green little dudes with red lines by their eyes.

I'd love to get me a beardy, but limited space.

https://www.furaffinity.net/user/sil-thaera/ ---> My FurAffinity page (may contain NSFW content)

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » July 7th, 2016, 11:45 am

Amazon's anal? Sounds kinky! :mrgreen:

Sil'thaera

Post by Sil'thaera » July 7th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Vaaaal! *facepaws*

You totally misread that on purpose, didn't you? ;p

Yeah, an anole, if I spelled that right. Kinda like a lizard-gecko cross? It was cute!

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » July 8th, 2016, 11:40 am

Sorry Sil I just had to :mrgreen:

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by LokiDragon » July 8th, 2016, 11:25 pm

If you've a warm house beardies can be kept in a smaller vivarium if you let it out often... Hot summer days we used put ours in a wire chicken coop in the garden with the tortoise, got to have a lid on though they like to climb out!

Tarukaja
I am a: Lurker

Post by Tarukaja » July 9th, 2016, 10:27 am

My very first pet was a Green Anole; they're pretty easy to keep but I could never manage to keep multiples together. Back then you could only get wild caught ones, nowadays I see them as live [or frozen] feeder food for snakes or larger lizards D:
Later on I got a Leopard Gecko [I actually "adopted" him from school over the summer and the teacher let me keep him], and now I have a whole bunch more xD My first Leo passed away, I don't know how old he was when I got him [and I think he was wild-caught too] but I had him for about 13 years.
Some people say Crested or Gargoyle Geckos are also good to start with but I've never had one myself. They're omnivores not carnivores though, not sure how you feel about buying fruits and veggies or pre-formulated gecko meals in addition to bugs.
My bro has a Bearded Dragon, she's almost literally a pancake lol. Much bigger than a Leopard Gecko, they also need more space and warmer temps. I guess they'd make good beginner pets but I personally don't like the looks of them; Leos are just so much cuter ^^; They're omnivores as well, but I've heard they need a mainly insect-based diet when they're small, and then once they're adults they should get more plants than bugs.
Iguanas are popular but I don't think they make good "starter" pets. Same with bigger lizards like monitors and tegus; tbh I'd love to get one of these but right now I just don't have the time or space to care for one ^^;

Mr.Scales

Post by Mr.Scales » July 11th, 2016, 2:12 am

Bearded dragons are very easy. They only require heat (UVA) and uvb lights (no misting required for humidity).
Babies basically only eat crickets but when they are full grown they eat mainly leafy greens (Dandelion, kale,romaine lettuce).
Chinese water dragons are easy but require more care than bearded dragons (humidity, and lots of water), although its worth it cause I think they are wayyy better looking :3

Werecrocodile

Post by Werecrocodile » July 18th, 2016, 4:01 am

If you've never owned a lizard I highly recommend green anole but you will likely spend 100+ dollars while the lizards cost like eight dollars and don't put two boys together that is how my first pair died :( ,and do your research on them .
Wenn dein deutsch wie ich dich das liest kannst du Verwenden Sie kein Google Translate. Verlierer
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Werecrocodile

Post by Werecrocodile » July 18th, 2016, 7:24 am

Heh Amazon heh anal hehehe hehe anal hehehewhehe
Wenn dein deutsch wie ich dich das liest kannst du Verwenden Sie kein Google Translate. Verlierer
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.