Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

How to Teach Grandma Killing Snakes is Dangerous.

"You're a lizard, Harry!" (and other fabulous scaly creatures)
HakkenBoi
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

How to Teach Grandma Killing Snakes is Dangerous.

Post by HakkenBoi » May 20th, 2017, 2:37 am

I need help. My 79 year old Grandmother keeps killing snakes without knowing what they are. As you all probably know, killing a venomous snake increases your chances of being bit by it. By ALLOT. However her being born and raised in Cuba where the main method of defense was to wack snakes with a machete (even though there are no venomous snakes in Cuba) she really doesn't believe me nor care to leave them alone. We now live in South West Florida home to many different species of venomous snake, some which even look exactly like non venomous ones. If she keeps this up she is going to get herself killed in one of the worst possible ways. Also I really love snakes and to be honest it really sucks seeing them die for no reason. I mean a rattle snake at a play park near someones kid, okay sure, but she is killing everything she finds in the garden. Its only a matter of time before she finds a copperhead and kicks the bucket.
Does anyone know of any videos or websites on wild snake safety i could show her?
Monitor Lizards are Hot.

Rendrassa

Re: How to Teach Grandma Killing Snakes is Dangerous.

Post by Rendrassa » May 20th, 2017, 3:38 am

Unless she lives in a rural area, then snakes in the garden is still similar to the snake at a play park. I don't like snakes dying for no reason either, but she's defending her home, so I feel she has the right to kill first and ask questions later. That said, she should study up on what the venomous snakes look like. Maybe get a book from the library and go through them with her. Some non-vemonous snakes are good for gardens, I know garter snakes eat some garden pests and are well tolerated here in Oklahoma. So talk to her about any good snakes and make sure to talk about the safest way to kill the bad snakes.

Best advice I can give. Hopefully others can be more specific.
Clicky? Image

HakkenBoi
Commissions: Open

Post by HakkenBoi » May 20th, 2017, 4:52 am

I have had a ton of conversations with her about this, even took her to my nature center to pull out a couple snakes and give comparisons on what will kill you, what wont and what to do if you see one. She doesn't seem to get it unfortunately. After talking with her tonight I'm pretty positive it's never going to get through, me and her have been going back and forth on this for years. If Grandma dies by snake bite at least I'll know she was a badass.
Monitor Lizards are Hot.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » May 20th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Given antivenoms exist, I think the next best message to get through just in case would be to tell her to call emergency services if feeling uunwell after a bite and to remember its look.
Well at least she doesn't live where I do - Australia... I see deadly snakes quite a bit sometimes.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Acostor

Post by Acostor » May 23rd, 2017, 4:17 am

How many snakes has she encountered here in SW Florida. Beacuse I've encountered very few in the many years I've lived here.
You may not realize how much you love something until you lose it. So if you find it, never let go.

Steam account: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198254747403/

Werecrocodile

Post by Werecrocodile » June 6th, 2017, 8:04 am

you could tell her that just one dose of anti-venom is about $2300.
Also what Rendrassa said about the book is a good idea and is likely the best solution
remember you can't teach an old dog new tricks (easily).
Wenn dein deutsch wie ich dich das liest kannst du Verwenden Sie kein Google Translate. Verlierer
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.