Herpy.nu will close down in January 2018.

The undeserved flak we'll recieved from smear campaigns along with the community style (phpBB forum) being far out of date has rendered this place empty and deserted. We thank all our users for a good run. Our Discord server will still be up, you can reach it by clicking here. You can also follow me on Twitter for further developments. As it seems now, the gallery will be transferred to a new site in the future. We will keep you updated.

It was nice knowing you all.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Ask a Val

Games and/or sillies that are played online here on the forums!
Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Re: Ask a Val

Post by Valcyrie » January 27th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Draco Solis wrote:
Valcyrie wrote:Hmm... I'm actually not sure. Many dragons are portrayed in ways I don't like in most books.
I'm a little curious on some of these portrayals you aren't very fond of in books. And what would be a few things you do enjoy dragons being portrayed as? I know you mentioned Smaug as a good example, but I'm wondering if you can describe what it is you like to see in dragon portrayals.
Well, mostly dragons are portrayed as either mindless beasts or they are subjugated into mere mounts. "If the dragon dies its human rider lives on, but if the rider dies so does the dragon". It's stuff like that that really irks me. I mean, if we take a logical look at survivability, I would cast my vote on the great and ancient magical beast and not the pink meatbag <.-.<

However, I like dragons like Smaug. Intelligent creatures with a personality who makes choices. They are incredibly mighty with weapons in the shape of flame breath and magic combined with a armor strong enough to resist any handheld weapon of its time. Such a beast could lay waste to nations if it wanted to, but it chose not to. Smaug of all is evil, but a kind of delicious evil that I kind of like... <.-.<

I like how dragons are portrayed in Dungeons & Dragons. Some of them even live in working societies.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Xasin

Post by Xasin » January 28th, 2017, 12:06 am

[quote="Valcyrie"
Well, mostly dragons are portrayed as either mindless beasts or they are subjugated into mere mounts. "If the dragon dies its human rider lives on, but if the rider dies so does the dragon". It's stuff like that that really irks me. I mean, if we take a logical look at survivability, I would cast my vote on the great and ancient magical beast and not the pink meatbag <.-.<[/quote]

Interesting ... But definitely a notion I can agree with.

However, what do you think of the portrayal of dragons in that aspect in the Eragon book series?
There, neither dragon nor rider die when the other does - but due to their connection it does severely impact the other one. It's definitely different to the rider/mount relationship talked about in the quote, so I'm curious to know.
Not just dreaming is what I strive to do, but just as much to be the one to make them reality

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » January 29th, 2017, 12:12 am

I've only read the first book, where it was stated that the dragon dies but the rider survives. Overall it also felt like the book was more appealing to a younger audience, so I didn't follow the series anymore after that. However, if the realtionship between dragon and rider changes later on, then all for the better. But I don't know enough about it to say anymore, really.

Draco Solis
I am a: Musician

Post by Draco Solis » February 1st, 2017, 7:06 am

Valcyrie wrote:
Draco Solis wrote:
Valcyrie wrote:Hmm... I'm actually not sure. Many dragons are portrayed in ways I don't like in most books.
I'm a little curious on some of these portrayals you aren't very fond of in books. And what would be a few things you do enjoy dragons being portrayed as? I know you mentioned Smaug as a good example, but I'm wondering if you can describe what it is you like to see in dragon portrayals.
Well, mostly dragons are portrayed as either mindless beasts or they are subjugated into mere mounts. "If the dragon dies its human rider lives on, but if the rider dies so does the dragon". It's stuff like that that really irks me. I mean, if we take a logical look at survivability, I would cast my vote on the great and ancient magical beast and not the pink meatbag <.-.<

However, I like dragons like Smaug. Intelligent creatures with a personality who makes choices. They are incredibly mighty with weapons in the shape of flame breath and magic combined with a armor strong enough to resist any handheld weapon of its time. Such a beast could lay waste to nations if it wanted to, but it chose not to. Smaug of all is evil, but a kind of delicious evil that I kind of like... <.-.<

I like how dragons are portrayed in Dungeons & Dragons. Some of them even live in working societies.
Ahhh. Well, I gotta say that I feel the same way. x3
Also, funny how you use that quote from the Eragon movie. I actually read the original book a long while back and that whole "rider dies = dragon dies" detail was not in it. I remember it said that the death of one could have devastating effects on the other due to the sudden severing of their mental link (which could drive the survivor to madness or suicide whether it was the human or the dragon, but it didn't necessarily mean the other died as a result).
o.o
I does a stare~

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » February 12th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Huh, I have read the book but it was translated and I think they used something similar to "tear apart" which I did interpret as die.

Rex

Post by Rex » February 23rd, 2017, 7:46 pm

Ever read the Temeraire books? I'm making my way through them. So good.

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » February 24th, 2017, 1:18 am

Rex wrote:Ever read the Temeraire books? I'm making my way through them. So good.
No, I have not. I have so many books that I need to read <.-.>