Herpy.nu will close down in January 2018 - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018, and years of smear campaigns have given us a reputation that has been hard to shake. We therefore made the choice to close the site and move on to a brighter future. While the forums will be archived as a memory of times of past greatness, new funds have been raised and new admins have been recruited to start working on a entire new community far away from Bad Dragon and any association with that company. The gallery will remain operational in the meantime. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send a PM to Valcyrie.

Herpy have always been my little lovechild since I joined over a decade ago. But he grew up, and as he has aged with dignity its time for his hatchling to take over. A fresh start for a new generation in a new era.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Ask a Val

Games and/or sillies that are played online here on the forums!
Ishiah

Re: Ask a Val

Post by Ishiah » January 23rd, 2017, 6:52 am

Latest post of the previous page:

What are your favorite dragon related books?

Also, glad to see another fan of Heroes 3! I've been playing it a lot recently. I swear time moves twice as fast when playing that game. I lose days at a time playing it.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » January 23rd, 2017, 10:27 am

Hmm... I'm actually not sure. Many dragons are portrayed in ways I don't like in most books. One of my favourites is actually Smaug from Hobbit.

Hah, thats awesome! May I ask in return what your favourite team is? I fancy Castle a lot because f*cking Marksmen xD And the zealots aint bad either. Either them or Necropolis because I love the dark and undead.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » January 23rd, 2017, 12:56 pm

How did you find Herpy and discover your fascination with dragons? (Also backstory on furry/scaly community?)
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » January 23rd, 2017, 1:37 pm

Aracth'nil wrote:How did you find Herpy and discover your fascination with dragons? (Also backstory on furry/scaly community?)
I think I've written about this somewhere, but... o.-.o Can just as well recite it here as well.

My fascination with dragons have been with me all of my life. From watching Pete's Dragon when I was a really small kid (this is my first memory of loving dragons, I doubt I was older than 2 when I saw it for the first time), continuing through the years with posters and toys until I started roleplaying in my early teens and of course I would start playing with dragons. This went on and me and a friend of mine started to slowly dwelve into more and more erotic RPs although still keeping it very serious as if it was some presentation of art. But he saw me writhing because I had a really bad pokerface, and one day when we were playing he looked at me, smiled and said "I want to show you something that I think you'll like."

And that was the day I first saw Yiffstar (nowadays known as SoFurry), which was 2005. Before then I had no idea something like a furry community even existed. Sometime during 2007-2008 the same friend had discovered Herpy and sent me a link to the site and I became a avid visitor to the gallery, murr~ x3 I lurked the site for a long while and finally signed up in 2010. I had just broken up with my boyfriend at the time and feeling lonely, I wanted to see if I could befriend some like-minded people. And here I am to this day xD

I rarely visit the gallery nowadays since I like to stick to either my own fantasies or RPs, but it's still fun to poke my snout around some sexy beasts every now and then. I've never really grown a huge liking to any feral creature except dragons and in a few occasions also horses, I seem to like majestic creatures. Anthro... I guess more or less anything goes. Except bunnies, rats and other rodents. For some reason I associate them more with cartoons, and even a "sexy" pic I find more funny than arousing. It's interesting how our brain works. The few I don't really have a interest in at all are pigs and sheeps / goats, that's ot my taste.

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by LokiDragon » January 23rd, 2017, 10:20 pm

Who inspires you? Either through their work (Could be a band or an artist) or their actions (maybe an old mentor... Or foe!). Who do you think of when you need to carry on, Val?

I thought of this when a friend was showing me her late hero's army blanket he sent her years ago before he died, because she was the only person to post anything meaningful on his blog.

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » January 23rd, 2017, 11:22 pm

Geez Loki, those questions o.-.o'

Who inspires me? A great many people, I would presume. I appreciate a lot of different things and I like being inspired. I visit art galleries, listen to different bands and music...

When I need to carry on? You mean like from a big life event that hurt me badly?

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by LokiDragon » January 24th, 2017, 10:52 am

Valcyrie wrote:Geez Loki, those questions o.-.o'

Hey you put yourself under the microscope, it's no good complaining now! ;)

Valcyrie wrote:When I need to carry on? You mean like from a big life event that hurt me badly?
Yeah, you know, for some people it's their parents or friends. Me personally it's my grandfather, I guess to put another way, who do you aspire to be like?

Ishiah

Post by Ishiah » January 25th, 2017, 6:00 am

Valcyrie wrote:Hmm... I'm actually not sure. Many dragons are portrayed in ways I don't like in most books. One of my favourites is actually Smaug from Hobbit.

Hah, thats awesome! May I ask in return what your favourite team is? I fancy Castle a lot because f*cking Marksmen xD And the zealots aint bad either. Either them or Necropolis because I love the dark and undead.

Yeh Smaug is definitely one of the best dagons in literature. I also quite like the dragons in the Temeraire series and also the lesser known Dragonback series. Reading about Bazil Broketail puts me in a very good mood.

Its so hard to pick a favorite race in Heroes 3. I really like the Tower race but they have no dragons, so I usually play as the Rangers or Dungeon.

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » January 25th, 2017, 11:57 pm

Xasin wrote:How's the daily life of a herpy mod!
I'm presuming it could be somewhat relaxed since this community isn't large, but, well, you never know ^^

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you are feeling better...

Are two questions allowed?
What's your main thought/worry/hope about the upcoming weeks/years in relation to Trump now officially being president?
Sorry, I totally missed your post x.-.x

How's my daily life? Wake up, take my meds, rest for a while because they make me tired, get dressed and leave for work. Stuff some breakfast at work while I start with the paperwork of the day. Keep on working, then leave for home. Have something to eat, watch some shows and play some games, go to sleep. That's about it :P

My main worry is that he will do as he promised and withdraw US military support from Europe and Asia which will leave a "power gap" much larger than the one Clinton left in Syria for ISIS to grow into. I fear that a lot of imperialistic states will sieze this opportunity to more or less unopposed sieze more land for themselves. This could potentially lead to a new world war, or at the very least the worst stock market crash since the 1930s, which in its turn will destroy the life of anyone who have some kind of loan or debt, and thereby create chaos in our societies. The government will have to respond with martial law and from there... well, I think you see where I'm going.

So for now, I just wait and see...
LokiDragon wrote:Yeah, you know, for some people it's their parents or friends. Me personally it's my grandfather, I guess to put another way, who do you aspire to be like?
Those are some seriously good questions. What do I think of when I need to carry on?

I'm a rather cold and logical person. During the crisis itself, I'm one of those who with determination get things done and does what have to be done. After that I make up plans for the immediate future so that I have something to rely on just in case my head gets overheated. After that I try to focus ahead, on the future, and try to see things from such a positive view as possible. Learn to see the good with the bad. When I have the time and space to do so, I can sit down, meditate and go over the hurtful and the past, and let those emotions emerge somewhat under control in a calm environment, working through the pain step by step. Then it's pretty much repeat the same pattern until the worst time is over.

What I aspire to be like? A just but fair person in more or less every aspect, I think. I respect people if they respect me, and I treat everyone equally and with the same chances. I believe in tolerance and practice that myself by being friends with people I dont necessarily always agree with. My friend list range from a anarchist feminist (it's as bad as it sounds) to a very conservative (read, republicunt shitface) gentleman. We disagree a lot politically, but still have some common ground and we are prepared to listen to the other to reach this common ground. And when we come to a certain point, we agree to disagree and leave it there, both thinking that the other one is annoyingly stupid sometimes. However, I can also be rancourous and once you have fucked up the chances I gave you (which are usually many), chances are very slim I'm even gonna bother listen to you in the future. I more or less push the mental mute button to people I don't feel like spending my energy on.

If I know I can handle a task well, I often take the position of a leader naturally. However, if I'm unsure and there is a person with better knowledge than I, I quickly rally to their side instead and promote them to be leader. I try to always be reasonable. Yet again, I guess we're back at the fair but just basis.
Ishiah wrote:Yeh Smaug is definitely one of the best dagons in literature. I also quite like the dragons in the Temeraire series and also the lesser known Dragonback series. Reading about Bazil Broketail puts me in a very good mood.

Its so hard to pick a favorite race in Heroes 3. I really like the Tower race but they have no dragons, so I usually play as the Rangers or Dungeon.
I love Smaug <3 He's such a badass. I never heard of the Dragonback series o.-.o

Hahah, those are some good teams too :)

Ishiah

Post by Ishiah » January 26th, 2017, 4:45 am

alright I fucked up the name of the series and I feel obligated to correct the record. The Dragonback series is a pretty good young adult series, but Bazil Broketail is the dragon I was referring to.

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » January 26th, 2017, 10:29 am

Well, still haven't heard of the series xD

As for a addition to my earlier post about finding common ground with other people... TAA released this today and he explained it all fairly well, I highly recommend watching it. I think the very same way he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqa_jAsJ1Jg

Draco Solis
I am a: Musician

Post by Draco Solis » January 27th, 2017, 6:43 am

Valcyrie wrote:Hmm... I'm actually not sure. Many dragons are portrayed in ways I don't like in most books.
I'm a little curious on some of these portrayals you aren't very fond of in books. And what would be a few things you do enjoy dragons being portrayed as? I know you mentioned Smaug as a good example, but I'm wondering if you can describe what it is you like to see in dragon portrayals.
o.o
I does a stare~

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » January 27th, 2017, 9:15 pm

Draco Solis wrote:
Valcyrie wrote:Hmm... I'm actually not sure. Many dragons are portrayed in ways I don't like in most books.
I'm a little curious on some of these portrayals you aren't very fond of in books. And what would be a few things you do enjoy dragons being portrayed as? I know you mentioned Smaug as a good example, but I'm wondering if you can describe what it is you like to see in dragon portrayals.
Well, mostly dragons are portrayed as either mindless beasts or they are subjugated into mere mounts. "If the dragon dies its human rider lives on, but if the rider dies so does the dragon". It's stuff like that that really irks me. I mean, if we take a logical look at survivability, I would cast my vote on the great and ancient magical beast and not the pink meatbag <.-.<

However, I like dragons like Smaug. Intelligent creatures with a personality who makes choices. They are incredibly mighty with weapons in the shape of flame breath and magic combined with a armor strong enough to resist any handheld weapon of its time. Such a beast could lay waste to nations if it wanted to, but it chose not to. Smaug of all is evil, but a kind of delicious evil that I kind of like... <.-.<

I like how dragons are portrayed in Dungeons & Dragons. Some of them even live in working societies.