Please note that the Herpy.nu vBulletin forums are now closed and archived - the forums have now moved to Discord.

Herpy had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the old forum design is unappealing and no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational. You can follow me on Twitter for future developments. We now have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Last Man Posting

Games and/or sillies that are played online here on the forums!
Nuulstalädt

Re: Last Man Posting

Post by Nuulstalädt » December 14th, 2017, 4:57 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Ah, the spirit of competition. It's great. Even afterward, 'tis a group of people that will be together again soon on a new, fresh site.
Here's a good question. What does one do after winning something like this? The tried-and-true "Yesssss!" followed by a fist pump is a good guess. That's probably what I'd go for. Another possibility is a simple smile, with the thought of all of the other "contestants" thinking exvlusively of you for a while. Another likely response is tge "all physical" response, where one flails their arms around in triumph. Maybe they drop their phone or jump up from their desktop. That's always a joy to see. Even more likely, a full-bodied laugh. You know that laugh. The one that's backed with a little adrenaline, like when you beat a Dark Souls boss or catch something you ought not have caught. Anyway, It's a lovely thought to entertain, isn't it. The thought of winning something. Why? Because we like to win. We like to know that regardless of it being skill or chance, we beat someone else at something. The difference between this and something more serious though, is that there's no ill will to be found. I'm sure if we were all in the same room come the end, there would be smiles all around, a collective "aaaaah!" in the final seconds, and a congratulations to the winner from everyone. This is plain and simple fun, regardless of who's winning.

Regardless... of who... is winning. It's just as fun if nobody replies anymore starting riiiiight... now.
"Legends don't burn down villages." - Ulfric Stormcloak

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » December 19th, 2017, 11:33 am

I like how you post long, even though there's no merit to that.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Nuulstalädt

Post by Nuulstalädt » December 20th, 2017, 12:30 am

Aracth'nil wrote:
December 19th, 2017, 11:33 am
I like how you post long, even though there's no merit to that.
Yep. I hope it doesn't come off like I'm an asshole. I just think its fun, and hope people get the joke. It's meant to be taken with no seriousness whatsoever.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 20th, 2017, 11:59 am

Haha I liked the exposition.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Nuulstalädt

Post by Nuulstalädt » December 21st, 2017, 6:33 am

I sit here, once again, to defend the position of "winner". This may seem futile, since there is quite a long while before the closure of this game, giving those who would find the urge the opportunity to steal victory for themselves. But alas, one can never be too sure. This does bring a query to mind, though. -Who will the winner tell about this victory?- Yes, there will be the inevitable use of this bragging right in the new site, but outside of that, will anyone ever know? It's not exactly a thing to write home about. Nobody will be gliding around yelling down to everyone about how they clicked at the right time. That being said, this might be a worthy note to bring up amongst friends, if one has any of them. (Maybe you have ALL the friends, in which case... learn to share.) It certainly is a story that could be gussied up to sound more momentous than it actually is. Essentially, when friends are trying to one-up each other, this is a good piece of conversational ammunition when told properly. In all honesty, I was going to go through a list of people one could tell, but friends seem to be the only sensible choice. I don't know. If either of the two people that are going to read this far come up with anything, please share.
Speaking of sharing, there's the old expression: "Sharing is caring." If that is to be taken to heart, would one share with the others the joy of victory? Is this a competition worthy of shared victory? Least ways, there could be the traditional "First, Second, Third" system to award the runners up with their own share of the glory. An interesting observation is that this could turn into a team event. Two groups fighting to have someone in their team be the last one to relay a message through this message board. In that case, strategies could be concocted through team threads, like having one member shotgun posts while the others try to time their post carefully with the last second of the site's existence.
But, I digress. Back to the sharing of glory. Is it fair to assume that if a specific person or persons hadn't posted when they did, the winner may not have won? How about the creator of this thread? Surely they deserve a share of the victory for having been responsible in the first place, right? But how about THIS for an existencial question? What if NONE OF US were to earn this title? There are quite a few forums here. Each has quite a few threads. Is it not possible that someone, a third-party if you will, may post in another part of the site a fraction of a second later than even the latest among our ranks here in "Last Man Posting"? Would we ever know?... Would they? I guess the most logical way to approach it is to assume that if anyone is planning on posting last, they'd do it here. However, the "Most Recent Posts" section won't lie, so at least that's not a thing to worry about. Still, how embarassing (and, frankly, ironic) would it be to have all this set up and still not have anyone here win the honorable title of Most Patient Reptile? Food for thought...
Oh! Speaking of food, what does one celebrate with? Whatever is in the fridge/pantry is a popular response, but to add a bit of humor, one would want something set aside. In the unlikely event that I become victorious, I plan to spray around a bottle of sparkling cider and possibly make a cake beforehand, just to have a laugh about it later. What about other overdramatic celebrations; they don't need to involve food. Perhaps I'll throw on my old Corvo Attano costume and, should I win, blast the Dishonored theme and strike a victory pose. The issue is that something like this will undoubtedly make the winner laugh, but nobody else will be around to see it unless you throw a party for such an event, and good luck getting anyone over to watch that.
Anyway, just some inquiries as to celebratory processions.
It has come to my attention that, at 10:33 PST, I.......................... am winning.

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by LokiDragon » December 23rd, 2017, 8:29 pm

Okay so I've a question, for the general players of this game: How would you know that you are the last? Because even down to the last nano seconds you wouldn't see the last post until Val pulls the plug on the site... Unless Val gives the official last one posting confirmation, you wouldn't know, not for sure the last post could be buffering as the site is entering the great ether space in which case even when the site goes black (Or blue as the blue screen of death) the final echos of that ultimate post could squeeze in... So my question is HOW WILL YOU KNOW THAT YOU'VE WON?

64Dragonheart64

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » December 23rd, 2017, 8:37 pm

Except by constantly checking the site until the last minutes of the year, i dont think there is a definite winner. EXISTENTIAL DOUBT.
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » December 24th, 2017, 4:01 am

I think this is going to be archived somewhere, so we can see from that. Unless I'm wrong.

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » December 24th, 2017, 6:56 pm

That's like I was saying... There's always doubt! Have you really won? Or did someone let you win? This game has no real winners... Even the last one posting is still the Last of Herp-a-Derps... Then it's ultimately meaningless. Like I said No winners except in the moment.

Rasalom
I am a: Author

Post by Rasalom » December 25th, 2017, 6:49 am

Hey, that's just like three sided footbal.
Or is it?
Can't really remember whether it was no winners, or no comprehensible rules...
Or both.
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...

LokiDragon

Post by LokiDragon » December 26th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I know that the center space on a three sided chess board has the advantage... But three sided anything usually comprises of setting your opponents against each other then snatching victory from the victor in the last moments. They're usually too worn out from taking their foe from the field to be able to cope with the watcher! Eye's the silent-members of the forum cautiously, it's all down to the final minutes! ;)

Nuulstalädt

Post by Nuulstalädt » December 28th, 2017, 3:43 am

I sit in my bedroom, staring at the screen and quietly contemplating things. Just "things" in general. These "things" led back to this, a whimsical gathering of charismatic individuals, for some reason. Once again, I look at this game with intrigue and ask, "What could happen that would remove all of the glory from the winner's efforts?" Well, for starters, what if Val or another site administrator makes it a point to post last? Makes sure to post a goodbye or some other sentimentality that would admittedly ruin the objective of this rivalry between posters. If that's the case, they must be laughing their asses off at this occasionally serious instance of internet competitiveness. I would be... I don't have many friends *stares quietly at wall*. I guess that will remain to be seen but, even so, I guess that being the last regular user ABLE to post would be a commendable achievement as well. In any case, there will still be fiery competition, which brings up yet another thought. "What will be the individual strategy of each person?" Undoubtedly, it'll be late for anyone in the U.S. as I am. So, will the final competitors simply wing it, or take a nap beforehand to ensure mental focus, or practice last-second clicking? I plan to chug a NOS and wait out the last fifteen minutes or so completely motionless. In all honesty, I'm sure the "wing it" plan will suffice for most people. Putting effort into it only makes defeat suck an abundant amount more. Is it worth training for or putting a severe amount of effort towards? Now, I don't speak for everyone, but I'd say it is. To be the last person to get a word in on a legendary piece of internet history... maybe I'm over-glorifying it. Nonetheless, it is semi-impressive to think about. I am glad to have seen some humorously philosophical pieces of dialog put up in the past couple days. Good thing, since I'm running out of big words to regurgitate.
There is a cloud of competitiveness looming on the horizon, but I currently have my umbrella of "winning", so nobody post anything, and let me stay metaphorically dry... please?

Rasalom
I am a: Author

Post by Rasalom » December 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm

What do you mean "winning"? Was that a metaphorical phrase or something?
'Cause y'know, and I know I might appear a total dick right now, by pionting that out so bluntly - you're not.
Of course it's not like I'm trying to insult you by calling you a loser; far from it in fact.
Nevertheless, where is a winner, there has to be a loser as well. And if you're not winning, at least not at the moment I'm writing this post... Well technically typing...
Gah! You get the picture...
Don't kill the edge and become like the rest.
Don't lose the faith that made you who you are
Don't kill the edge that manifests inside
This world is mine; it's where my thoughts collide...