Herpy.nu will close down in January 2018 - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018, and years of smear campaigns have given us a reputation that has been hard to shake. We therefore made the choice to close the site and move on to a brighter future. While the forums will be archived as a memory of times of past greatness, new funds have been raised and new admins have been recruited to start working on a entire new community far away from Bad Dragon and any association with that company. The gallery will remain operational in the meantime. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send a PM to Valcyrie.

Herpy have always been my little lovechild since I joined over a decade ago. But he grew up, and as he has aged with dignity its time for his hatchling to take over. A fresh start for a new generation in a new era.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

The Beating of Wings (NSFW)

A little corner for all of us who likes to paint with words and create wonderful and magical worlds with no other tool than a pen.
Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

The Beating of Wings (NSFW)

Post by Aracth'nil » August 14th, 2016, 11:51 am

Coming soon: My first fanfic on the adventures of a dragon and its human or humanoid companion.
I don't know how long this will last or go for, so feel free to feedback my writing. The first few chapters will probably be SFW so I'll keep you posted. Expect chapters at least once a month with the first hopefully within the week.

I'll probably name the dragon Aracth'nil, cause it's the only creative name I've come up with in a while.

Anyway, hope to post here in a bit. Feel free to drop any questions or suggestions below.

----EDIT----
Apparently I've bit off more than I can chew, so might take a little while on the first chapter.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Corvus

Re: The Beating of Wings (NSFW)

Post by Corvus » August 15th, 2016, 3:05 pm

If you're having trouble with trying to get creative names, remember that just about everything is unoriginal and built off of something else, from names, to music, even to the same generic story plots and themes being used over and over again in movies, books, games and more.

For example, look at every language thats developed in Europe. Just about every single one uses latin at its base, which is why some words from one language can be somewhat understood in another language (like how penis is spelt and probably pronounced similarly across several differing languages, which is scary considering how long ago that word made its first inception.) Even when languages don't have the same base, you can still end up with loan words that both languages use and have the same meaning, such as with the Fillipinos or (South) Koreans who steals some words from another language since there might not be a local equivalent.

Onto stories, while they might be presented through different mediums, such as through film, games or written works, we all know that there are many unoriginal works out there, the most obvious offender being romeo and julliet type stories, such as with Westside story. Some works go as far as to not even hide where they get their ideas from, such as with Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now with their whole 'the horror' thing.

Then there are actual names, with a lot of people just being named after famous people, such as Alexander the Great, Queen Elizabeth, the many Kings with the name James, Napoleon Bonaparte, whoever the heck Kim (or Lee) was or is (I blame the Koreans), Jesus and his baptist John, Queen Victoria, Josef (Joseph? Stalin?), etc. (With the exception of Adolf, Hitler or any combination of, for obvious reasons). Hell, you can argue that surnames are even more unoriginal, like Smith or Brown or my own last name that when translated to English means lawn.

The most original word I know of is 'lanta' and its so original, not even google can immediately tell me what it means.
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!...
Ad Infinitum.

Aracth'nil

Re: The Beating of Wings (NSFW)

Post by Aracth'nil » August 16th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Thanks... I think I got a long term story plot in my head now. Prologue coming soon!
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Aracth'nil

The Beating of Wings: Prologue (Part 1)

Post by Aracth'nil » August 21st, 2016, 5:00 am

Here's my attempt at the start of this story:
(1st Part of the Prologue)
► Show Spoiler
I know it's a bit lame and short, but I fell sick recently so I'll probably post more when I'm ok. Also, I'm a slow writer, so I will probably just write about that much pretty frequently, if I can keep motivated.