Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Hey! Just a few questions...

This is where we share imporant news, updates and announcements regarding this community.
User avatar
Enthralled
Posts: 26
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:39 am
Age: 24
Location: Limbo
I am a: Lurker
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Enthralled » February 13th, 2017, 3:22 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Valcyrie wrote:Image
I'm particularly fond of the "Everyone's a gangster until it's time to do gangster stuff." one.
Valcyrie wrote:Perhaps Ethology was a bit too politically correct or misphrased his reply, but the official reason given by the old host (Varka and his Bad Dragon company) is what Ethos said - that it wasnt worth his time and effort maintaining. Except for the fact that Varka hadnt set his foot in this community for years and had more or less nothing to do with it anymore. However part of the site's old history was used to slander him and in a real knee-jerk move he removed everything that could be a threat to his business. I would be more forgiving and understanding about the whole ordeal had he not turned us who staffed the site into scapegoats. This is why we don't have any backups of the old site either: Varka thrones upon all of it and despite my pleas and attempts to reason he refused to give us anything. The gallery is now mostly restored thanks to personal backups from really helpful members but the forum had to start over from a clean slate.
Wow, that's really shitty... :( Well, if it makes you feel any better, I didn't hear any of the smearing whatsoever. I was completely surprised when I found out Herpy had been shut down and reopened...
Valcyrie wrote:Suggestions are always welcome :3 If you have looked around a bit, especially in the last announcements, you will see that I'm trying to make this community "by creators, for creators (and appreciators!). Our resources are limited but we gotta start somewhere, right? The server we're hosted on is rather powerful and designed to handle a good deal of preassure once the community grows.

I've actually linked Herpy in 2 of the reddits you mentioned here, but perhaps we should post again. I'm not using reddit much though so if someone who is more familiar with the place and its rules is wanting to help it would be appreciated.
That's really good! If it isn't, I would host it off-shore too just to be safe, even though I'm sure nothing legally speaking will or even could happen. And always keep backups. Do weekly ones. I know it's a pain, but if an attack happens on the site files, it won't make any difference whatsoever this way.

As to the sub-reddits, posting is great but let's see if we can get into the sidebars. That's what we should be aiming for. There's pretty much no reason for the mods to deny us unless they're jerks but we'll see.
Valcyrie wrote:It makes me very happy to hear that! ^.-.^ Herpy has always been a special place for its members and those who come tend to stay. The whole reason I booted this whole new site back up was because of my love for this community. I have so many ties through many years of my life to it.
But why is this site/community so enticing? :o I mean, you could easily say it's just all the porn, but I can get that on FA and e621. I can get tons and tons of it there. But after all of that is said and done... I keep... Thinking of coming back here.
Valcyrie wrote:I think this can be a good idea, but I think we still have a pretty bad reputation among many people, despite it being undeserved. And as a member of staff people don't talk to me much anymore about what they think so I'm somewhat in the dark here. Perhaps more are willing to look into us now that we've fully broken away from Bad Dragon, but Varka ran a very effective smear campaign...
I'm really sorry about that... You and Ethos sound incredibly nice and you both seem to know what you're doing. Wow, I should stop ass-kissing here...

But yeah, just get in contact with them and simply politely ask. Don't even bring up what site this is. Only when they directly ask. Be professional and etc. etc. I'd do it myself for you all, but of course, I'm not working here in any official capacity whatsoever. Definitely best if you guys do it.
Valcyrie wrote:That sounds strange. I tried it on my phone and recieved no issues. Are you sure its not a cookie issue on your side?
You know what, it probably is on my end and stuff. Don't worry about it. :3

I have some more suggestions but I feel I should keep them to myself because I have a bad habit of taking charge when it's not my place. Also, I'm not nearly as familiar with this community as you guys are so I want to defer to you all for the rest of all this.

User avatar
Rendrassa
Posts: 134
Joined: July 6th, 2016, 7:21 am
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Location: Oklahoma
I am a: Artist
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Rendrassa » February 13th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Probably so, but I think we can make the forums even more active!

And actually it's a little strange that they've all stayed, barring that one that left when the site went down. Most new forum users in general will come and post for a bit and then go down in activity until they're gone. Just to be absolutely sure though, you're saying at least 3/4ths of the people you've attracted to the site have ended up staying in at least some capacity?
The forums (since I've been around) have always been fueled by a small, dedicate community. I kinda like that. We seem like an extended family of sorts.

I've converted about 4-5 people and to memory, I can only picture one that hasn't stuck around. I could be wrong, but I can't remember specifics.
Clicky? Image

User avatar
Enthralled
Posts: 26
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:39 am
Age: 24
Location: Limbo
I am a: Lurker
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Enthralled » February 14th, 2017, 12:24 am

Rendrassa wrote:The forums (since I've been around) have always been fueled by a small, dedicate community. I kinda like that. We seem like an extended family of sorts.

I've converted about 4-5 people and to memory, I can only picture one that hasn't stuck around. I could be wrong, but I can't remember specifics.
That's really cool. Strange too but cool.

User avatar
64Dragonheart64
Posts: 377
Joined: October 1st, 2016, 11:18 pm
Gender: Male
Age: 18
Location: Argentina
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » February 14th, 2017, 12:37 am

But in the end, that is what makes us special, right?
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.

User avatar
Rendrassa
Posts: 134
Joined: July 6th, 2016, 7:21 am
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Location: Oklahoma
I am a: Artist
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Rendrassa » February 14th, 2017, 5:33 am

Nothing strange about a bad memory, Enthralled! XD
Clicky? Image

User avatar
Enthralled
Posts: 26
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:39 am
Age: 24
Location: Limbo
I am a: Lurker
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Enthralled » February 14th, 2017, 6:39 am

Rendrassa wrote:Nothing strange about a bad memory, Enthralled! XD
Nonono. That our users are mostly all staying with us when they visit us. lol

User avatar
Rendrassa
Posts: 134
Joined: July 6th, 2016, 7:21 am
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Location: Oklahoma
I am a: Artist
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Rendrassa » February 14th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Like I said, this place feels like family.
Clicky? Image

User avatar
Enthralled
Posts: 26
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:39 am
Age: 24
Location: Limbo
I am a: Lurker
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Enthralled » February 14th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Rendrassa wrote:Like I said, this place feels like family.
Nah. It's not that. I mean, it is, but that's just a part of the reason... I just can't put my finger on it though.

User avatar
Valcyrie
Site Admin
Posts: 368
Joined: July 6th, 2016, 12:55 am
Gender: Female
Age: 666
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Valcyrie » February 15th, 2017, 11:44 am

Enthralled wrote:Wow, that's really shitty... :( Well, if it makes you feel any better, I didn't hear any of the smearing whatsoever. I was completely surprised when I found out Herpy had been shut down and reopened...
Oh, well might be just as good as you missed it. If you visit the old site, Herpy.net, you can see exactly what he wrote and why I'm pissed off. In essence, he claimed that we sort of went behind is back and promoted beastiality, and that all of us in the site staff were to blame. While in reality, he had no interest in Herpy and left it in the hands of Dracokon to uphold. And while beastiality indeed was discussed on the old forum, it was the fantasies only. People like to say that because we didnt outright ban zoophiles we were condoning it. But our policy was "if we meet them with silence, they will go ahead and try something stupid and uneducated which causes even more harm to everyone involved." So instead we did a joint effort to talk people out of ever trying it IRL. Discussing it is fine, free internet and all, but dont actually touch the animals. That was our policy ever since Kon took over.
Enthralled wrote:That's really good! If it isn't, I would host it off-shore too just to be safe, even though I'm sure nothing legally speaking will or even could happen. And always keep backups. Do weekly ones. I know it's a pain, but if an attack happens on the site files, it won't make any difference whatsoever this way.

As to the sub-reddits, posting is great but let's see if we can get into the sidebars. That's what we should be aiming for. There's pretty much no reason for the mods to deny us unless they're jerks but we'll see.
Oh, we are no longer in the US ^.-.^ No no. We are safely in mainland Europe, country specifically chosen because its forgiving in its laws against zoophilia and such. Not that we host beastiality, but better safe than sorry. If a guy can go to prison for pedophilia because he collected manga - including ecchi - who knows what can happen. As for backups, we have them of course ^.-.^

Sidebars you say. I guess thats some sort of link collection? xD This is why I need halp with reddit xD
Enthralled wrote:But why is this site/community so enticing? :o I mean, you could easily say it's just all the porn, but I can get that on FA and e621. I can get tons and tons of it there. But after all of that is said and done... I keep... Thinking of coming back here.
Most members claim we who dwell here have a sense of family between us. Many here have had their lives affected or even changed by the community and I think that's what creates the strong bonds.
Enthralled wrote:I'm really sorry about that... You and Ethos sound incredibly nice and you both seem to know what you're doing. Wow, I should stop ass-kissing here...

But yeah, just get in contact with them and simply politely ask. Don't even bring up what site this is. Only when they directly ask. Be professional and etc. etc. I'd do it myself for you all, but of course, I'm not working here in any official capacity whatsoever. Definitely best if you guys do it.
Oh no, don't stop! I like rimming!

Jokes aside, perhaps I can take some help from a trusty old member of the site that I know is deep into reddit :P I'll see what I can do. Like I said, suggestions and such are always appreciated.
Enthralled wrote:You know what, it probably is on my end and stuff. Don't worry about it. :3

I have some more suggestions but I feel I should keep them to myself because I have a bad habit of taking charge when it's not my place. Also, I'm not nearly as familiar with this community as you guys are so I want to defer to you all for the rest of all this.
Like I said, suggestions are always welcome ^.-.^ Not everything can be done of course but we do our best to make this place as good as possible for everyone.
Image
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

User avatar
Enthralled
Posts: 26
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:39 am
Age: 24
Location: Limbo
I am a: Lurker
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Enthralled » February 15th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Valcyrie wrote:Oh, well might be just as good as you missed it. If you visit the old site, Herpy.net, you can see exactly what he wrote and why I'm pissed off. In essence, he claimed that we sort of went behind is back and promoted beastiality, and that all of us in the site staff were to blame. While in reality, he had no interest in Herpy and left it in the hands of Dracokon to uphold. And while beastiality indeed was discussed on the old forum, it was the fantasies only. People like to say that because we didnt outright ban zoophiles we were condoning it. But our policy was "if we meet them with silence, they will go ahead and try something stupid and uneducated which causes even more harm to everyone involved." So instead we did a joint effort to talk people out of ever trying it IRL. Discussing it is fine, free internet and all, but dont actually touch the animals. That was our policy ever since Kon took over.

Oh, we are no longer in the US ^.-.^ No no. We are safely in mainland Europe, country specifically chosen because its forgiving in its laws against zoophilia and such. Not that we host beastiality, but better safe than sorry. If a guy can go to prison for pedophilia because he collected manga - including ecchi - who knows what can happen. As for backups, we have them of course ^.-.^

Sidebars you say. I guess thats some sort of link collection? xD This is why I need halp with reddit xD

Most members claim we who dwell here have a sense of family between us. Many here have had their lives affected or even changed by the community and I think that's what creates the strong bonds.

Oh no, don't stop! I like rimming!

Jokes aside, perhaps I can take some help from a trusty old member of the site that I know is deep into reddit :P I'll see what I can do. Like I said, suggestions and such are always appreciated.

Like I said, suggestions are always welcome ^.-.^ Not everything can be done of course but we do our best to make this place as good as possible for everyone.
Sounds like you guys knew how to manage the community! What happened to Dracokon though?

Don't worry. I halps. Reddit has a notoriously unintuitive interface. Yeah, the side bars are the boxes on the right that show up on every page of a sub-reddit that show the sub-reddit's rules and similar sub-reddits and helpful FAQs and links and stuff.

Indeed... Herpy kind of feels like a lovey scaley borg which turns you into one of them if you visit the site too long. XD

And oh my. Is the admin dragoness seducing me? >_>

Well, alright. You asked for it. I think there should be a new sub-forum in the Everything Scaley category. Specifically a general scaly board. The sub-forum would be for posting any scaly topics the OP would want all the scaly patrons to see and participate in. Since our numbers are small, we should focus on gathering our existing forum members together and getting them to mingle and connect more. Secondly, I think some sub-forums are rather redundant and should be merged into others. Again for mostly the same reasons. It will also make the board look much more active

User avatar
Valcyrie
Site Admin
Posts: 368
Joined: July 6th, 2016, 12:55 am
Gender: Female
Age: 666
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Valcyrie » February 15th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Thanks ^.-.^ Dracokon is rather busy nowadays and I was supposed to take over the site after him, a process we were in the making of, when Varka shut us down outta nowhere. Kon still comes around sometimes but he's more of a honorary admin nowadays.

Glad to hear ^.-.^

xD Perhaps thats what it is! Would explain a lot!

Nah, just looking to use you for a night xD

A general scaley board? But we have divided up the different scaley things..? The problem is that most of our users are more or less using the Discord chatrooms only and rarely visits the forum. They just find instant messages more convenient. Damn younglings <.-.< Old is gold! Long live the forums! What forums do you think should be merged? We have now the same display as the old forum had.
Image
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

User avatar
Enthralled
Posts: 26
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 7:39 am
Age: 24
Location: Limbo
I am a: Lurker
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Enthralled » February 16th, 2017, 7:50 am

Valcyrie wrote:Nah, just looking to use you for a night xD
Mmmm... I wouldn't mind that...
Valcyrie wrote:A general scaley board? But we have divided up the different scaley things..? The problem is that most of our users are more or less using the Discord chatrooms only and rarely visits the forum. They just find instant messages more convenient. Damn younglings <.-.< Old is gold! Long live the forums! What forums do you think should be merged? We have now the same display as the old forum had.
Oh, no need to get rid of the other scaley species boards! In this case for the Everything Scaley category, we would just add the General Scaley sub-forum onto the others and heavily encourage posting in that instead when possible. This would also bring more attention to the non-dragon species topics such as nagas and salamanders and lamias and etc. In time when we got a lot more members, we can safely retire the General Scaley sub-forum and let the individual species sub-forums go on their merry way. Oh and I think Bugs and Issues should be given a broader focus. Just call it Site Discussion instead and have it be for exactly that. Discussing this site or the old one. And the whole Supplemental category of sub-forums should just simply be put into the Community Center category. Why is it at the bottom?

As to what should be merged, I'm still not quite sure. I'd really like to merge Music, Gaymer Zone (lol), and Hobbies and Interests into the Lounge. And to put Poetry and Writing and Craftsmanship into Creativity and Arts, but something tells me people here aren't gonna like it. Back in the day when we had a lot of members, this made sense. But now we need to consolidate and group together. Right now, I'm very much of the opinion that the sub-forums are being segregated too much. When we get more members, we can start remaking sub-forums again to handle that load in an organized manner.

Speaking of creativity and arts, I think that the NSFW Art Dump should be moved to The Dungeons and another SFW Art Dump be created in Creativity and Arts. As to The Dungeons themselves, Tips & Reviews and The Kinky Corner should definitely be merged into Sexual Discussions & Naughty Topics. Again, once we get larger, we'll separate 'em once more.

Politics and Culture should simply be renamed to Current Events. As to Philosophy and Religion... Ehhhhh maybe best to just leave that alone I suppose. Continuing on, there should be two RP sub-forums. The one we have currently, and a new one in The Dungeons for any RP that features NSFW stuff or even a possibility for NSFW stuff. And that should be it! *whew*

User avatar
Rendrassa
Posts: 134
Joined: July 6th, 2016, 7:21 am
Gender: Female
Age: 25
Location: Oklahoma
I am a: Artist
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Rendrassa » February 16th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Seems like a lot of effort to hide the more NSFW stuff and promote SFW stuff. This is a naughty site, after all. :P
Clicky? Image

Post Reply