Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Hey! Just a few questions...

This is where we share imporant news, updates and announcements regarding this community.
Rendrassa
I am a: Artist

Re: Hey! Just a few questions...

Post by Rendrassa » February 16th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Seems like a lot of effort to hide the more NSFW stuff and promote SFW stuff. This is a naughty site, after all. :P
Clicky? Image

Enthralled
I am a: Lurker

Post by Enthralled » February 16th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Rendrassa wrote:Seems like a lot of effort to hide the more NSFW stuff and promote SFW stuff. This is a naughty site, after all. :P
Hey, you guys are the ones hiding The Dungeons to all but registered members. lol

I was just saying if we're gonna do that, we might as well make it organized.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » February 17th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Enthralled wrote:Mmmm... I wouldn't mind that...
Are you sure? :lol:
Enthralled wrote:Oh, no need to get rid of the other scaley species boards! In this case for the Everything Scaley category, we would just add the General Scaley sub-forum onto the others and heavily encourage posting in that instead when possible. This would also bring more attention to the non-dragon species topics such as nagas and salamanders and lamias and etc. In time when we got a lot more members, we can safely retire the General Scaley sub-forum and let the individual species sub-forums go on their merry way. Oh and I think Bugs and Issues should be given a broader focus. Just call it Site Discussion instead and have it be for exactly that. Discussing this site or the old one. And the whole Supplemental category of sub-forums should just simply be put into the Community Center category. Why is it at the bottom?
Ah, you mean adding a generic subforum that shows up in all categories as to "raise awareness" of what goes on in other parts of the forum?

As for fixing a site discussion category... I think it's a good idea to at least divide up "News/Announcements" and "bug reports/issues". Perhaps I should add a category for general site discussion, ideas and such?

It's at the bottom because Ethos wanted a separate category at the bottom for the gallery stuff and I created it upon his wish. It's the same layout that old Herpy had. If Ethos (since he's the gallery admin after all) is willing to change it or so he's welcome to say it here. I don't know his reasoning.
Enthralled wrote:As to what should be merged, I'm still not quite sure. I'd really like to merge Music, Gaymer Zone (lol), and Hobbies and Interests into the Lounge. And to put Poetry and Writing and Craftsmanship into Creativity and Arts, but something tells me people here aren't gonna like it. Back in the day when we had a lot of members, this made sense. But now we need to consolidate and group together. Right now, I'm very much of the opinion that the sub-forums are being segregated too much. When we get more members, we can start remaking sub-forums again to handle that load in an organized manner.
Actually, people have come to appreciate divided categories. They will grow and get more active as me get more members. I wanted people who come here to see "oh its not just drawing". And I've recieved comments who supported that desicion, so I think I will stick to that unless people tell me they wish for something different. Thing is, I dont think it segregates us much. It seems more people can appreciate that their niche is also being mentioned and brought to light. Otherwise the more popular topics such as music and art would drown out the rest pretty quickly. The main idea of using a forum like this is to have many different kinds of information well sorted and easy to find, categorize and list.
Enthralled wrote:Speaking of creativity and arts, I think that the NSFW Art Dump should be moved to The Dungeons and another SFW Art Dump be created in Creativity and Arts. As to The Dungeons themselves, Tips & Reviews and The Kinky Corner should definitely be merged into Sexual Discussions & Naughty Topics. Again, once we get larger, we'll separate 'em once more.
Why would you want to move it? Here I dont see the reason to bunch them together in one forum, it would be so small and it will be harder to find what you are looking for, especially when it comes to reviews.
Enthralled wrote:Politics and Culture should simply be renamed to Current Events. As to Philosophy and Religion... Ehhhhh maybe best to just leave that alone I suppose. Continuing on, there should be two RP sub-forums. The one we have currently, and a new one in The Dungeons for any RP that features NSFW stuff or even a possibility for NSFW stuff. And that should be it! *whew*
Hmm. I guess it could be renamed. But then it also gives the category a rather fuzzy meaning and I'm not sure people would fully understand what its for. On one hand it opens up for a broader variety of topics, on the other hand "current events" is more or less being used in other categories of discussions, such as game releases in the Gaymers forum, wacky news in the Longue, etc. The separation of RP forums is something I can see the point of. I'll lift that as a question to the community and let our members decide upon it.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Enthralled

Post by Enthralled » February 18th, 2017, 5:14 am

Valcyrie wrote:Are you sure? :lol:
As long as you're gentle, yes, very sure. ^^ You can use me.
Valcyrie wrote:Ah, you mean adding a generic subforum that shows up in all categories as to "raise awareness" of what goes on in other parts of the forum?
Nah, just the Everything Scaley category. That way species topics other than dragons will get more attention.
Valcyrie wrote:As for fixing a site discussion category... I think it's a good idea to at least divide up "News/Announcements" and "bug reports/issues". Perhaps I should add a category for general site discussion, ideas and such?
Actually that's probably a good idea on second thought.
Valcyrie wrote:It's at the bottom because Ethos wanted a separate category at the bottom for the gallery stuff and I created it upon his wish. It's the same layout that old Herpy had. If Ethos (since he's the gallery admin after all) is willing to change it or so he's welcome to say it here. I don't know his reasoning.
Well it's not a big deal at all but for me, it doesn't make sense to have it all the way down there.
Valcyrie wrote:Actually, people have come to appreciate divided categories. They will grow and get more active as me get more members. I wanted people who come here to see "oh its not just drawing". And I've recieved comments who supported that desicion, so I think I will stick to that unless people tell me they wish for something different. Thing is, I dont think it segregates us much. It seems more people can appreciate that their niche is also being mentioned and brought to light. Otherwise the more popular topics such as music and art would drown out the rest pretty quickly. The main idea of using a forum like this is to have many different kinds of information well sorted and easy to find, categorize and list.
I believe you're thinking too much in the vein of a really active forum. This is (very sadly) not a really active forum. Yes, normally you'd be absolutely right, if we had more members, we should definitely have lots of sub-forums, but since we do not, I believe we need to focus on activity. Activity first. Specialization later. Activity is more important right now than having precise sub-forums. Yes, you could say that if you group it all together, some topics may get lost as opposed to more popular ones, but the thing is, if people aren't visiting other sub-forums at all and just two or three of their favorite sub-forums instead, those topics will get little to no activity at all. Gathering all the sub-forums together now guarantees that people will at least see that those topics actually have been created as opposed to just skimming over the other sub-forums on their way to their favorite ones.

Here, take the Dinousaurs and Lizards and Snakes sub-forums. They have a total of 13 posts and 36 posts respectively. Dragons has 261. Now say a new member who really just loves lizards and dinosaurs comes onto the site and they scroll down to those sub-forums. He'll see those sub-forums have little to no activity and be discouraged from posting there, thus discouraging him from even posting on the site, period. Sure, he may still post, but the odds are definitely higher that he will if the sub-forums were gathered together into one so that he'll know a lot of people will at least see his topic.

And that's mostly why for now, we need to consolidate the sub-forums.
Valcyrie wrote:Why would you want to move it?
I don't know; to keep the art organized. Why do you guys have The Dungeons locked off to all but registered members? lol And in any case, some people just wanna see SFW art.
Valcyrie wrote:it would be so small and it will be harder to find what you are looking for, especially when it comes to reviews.
Nah, we would leave Tips and Reviews alone. I don't see why kinks need their own sub-forum though.
Valcyrie wrote:Hmm. I guess it could be renamed. But then it also gives the category a rather fuzzy meaning and I'm not sure people would fully understand what its for. On one hand it opens up for a broader variety of topics, on the other hand "current events" is more or less being used in other categories of discussions, such as game releases in the Gaymers forum, wacky news in the Longue, etc. The separation of RP forums is something I can see the point of. I'll lift that as a question to the community and let our members decide upon it.
Hm. I do definitely see some overlap with the other sub-forums... That's a good point. Nevermind, just leave that name I suppose.

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » March 2nd, 2017, 12:26 pm

Enthralled wrote:As long as you're gentle, yes, very sure. ^^ You can use me.
Who ever said anything about me being gentle? ;)
Enthralled wrote:Nah, just the Everything Scaley category. That way species topics other than dragons will get more attention.
Ah yeah, now I get what you mean. Not sure how I would do that though... and in any case, if people arent interested in lizards for example, why would they click a lizard thread if they wouldnt click a lizard category?
Enthralled wrote:Actually that's probably a good idea on second thought.
Yeah, I can fix that.
Enthralled wrote:Well it's not a big deal at all but for me, it doesn't make sense to have it all the way down there.
True... I guess I can ask Ethos about it since he haven't pitched in on this matter yet.
Enthralled wrote:but the thing is, if people aren't visiting other sub-forums at all and just two or three of their favorite sub-forums instead, those topics will get little to no activity at all. Gathering all the sub-forums together now guarantees that people will at least see that those topics actually have been created as opposed to just skimming over the other sub-forums on their way to their favorite ones.

Here, take the Dinousaurs and Lizards and Snakes sub-forums. They have a total of 13 posts and 36 posts respectively. Dragons has 261. Now say a new member who really just loves lizards and dinosaurs comes onto the site and they scroll down to those sub-forums. He'll see those sub-forums have little to no activity and be discouraged from posting there, thus discouraging him from even posting on the site, period. Sure, he may still post, but the odds are definitely higher that he will if the sub-forums were gathered together into one so that he'll know a lot of people will at least see his topic.
I see what you are getting at, but I'm not sure I agree with you. If he goes into the general category of Scaley and see 200 dragon threads and 2 lizard threads, won't i have the same effect?
Enthralled wrote:I don't know; to keep the art organized. Why do you guys have The Dungeons locked off to all but registered members? lol And in any case, some people just wanna see SFW art.
Mmh, fair enough I guess. The point of it from the start was to have at least something artsy in place before we could get the gallery to work, but after the gallery came up people wanted it to remain. I have a idea though. Perhaps make a little dedicated art section there with one thread for SFW, one for NSFW and one for like, "feature of the week" where artists get picked at random to get some spotlight?

And we did that so that not everyone on the entire internet will see more private matters :P At least a account is needed.
Enthralled wrote:Nah, we would leave Tips and Reviews alone. I don't see why kinks need their own sub-forum though.
Well, I'm planning on expanding in in the future :P

Ethos
Site Admin

Post by Ethos » March 2nd, 2017, 11:47 pm

Valcyrie wrote: I guess I can ask Ethos about it since he haven't pitched in on this matter yet.
The reason I suggested that the gallery section be separated in the forums was so visitors could quickly find it.

If Val wants to move the gallery category and/or subforums somewhere else, I don't have a problem with that - the material only needs to be placed somewhere in the forums where anyone with gallery related issues can easily locate it.

On the subject of the gallery, all of the archival pictures have been restored and now work can begin on restoring the video sections, a process currently underway.

Enthralled

Post by Enthralled » March 3rd, 2017, 7:44 pm

Valcyrie wrote:Who ever said anything about me being gentle? ;)
:o *squirms*
Valcyrie wrote:Ah yeah, now I get what you mean. Not sure how I would do that though... and in any case, if people arent interested in lizards for example, why would they click a lizard thread if they wouldnt click a lizard category?
Sometimes they just don't click on the category because they don't want to have to keep going into each individual sub-forum every time they visit. I mean, sure, they may do it at first, but they'll soon get tired of it and activity will drop off. I know because I'm guilty of this very same thing. I actually love nagas, lamias, and anthro lizards in general but I don't actually check or even post in those sub-forums for the above stated reason.
Valcyrie wrote:I see what you are getting at, but I'm not sure I agree with you. If he goes into the general category of Scaley and see 200 dragon threads and 2 lizard threads, won't i have the same effect?
It could but at least this way, the board will look a lot more active. And furthermore, it will be less visible too if there's less lizard threads and more dragon threads. Our current way just puts that right out there that all the other Everything Scaley sub-forums besides Dragons are inactive. Right off the bat, you'll see it.
Valcyrie wrote:Mmh, fair enough I guess. The point of it from the start was to have at least something artsy in place before we could get the gallery to work, but after the gallery came up people wanted it to remain. I have a idea though. Perhaps make a little dedicated art section there with one thread for SFW, one for NSFW and one for like, "feature of the week" where artists get picked at random to get some spotlight?
Sounds good! :D

Valcyrie
Site Admin

Post by Valcyrie » March 3rd, 2017, 8:20 pm

Enthralled wrote:Sometimes they just don't click on the category because they don't want to have to keep going into each individual sub-forum every time they visit. I mean, sure, they may do it at first, but they'll soon get tired of it and activity will drop off. I know because I'm guilty of this very same thing. I actually love nagas, lamias, and anthro lizards in general but I don't actually check or even post in those sub-forums for the above stated reason.
Hm. And I work the very opposite way, and I know several others of the board do too. The scaley fandom is so focused on dragons most people appreciate that their niche is being brought to light, I've recieved several comments about that.

Enthralled

Post by Enthralled » March 4th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Ethos wrote:On the subject of the gallery, all of the archival pictures have been restored and now work can begin on restoring the video sections, a process currently underway.
Sorry! I forgot to reply. Thanks, Ethos!
Valcyrie wrote:I've recieved several comments about that.
On the old herpy forums? Because if so, they don't count as we had more members back then. lol

Aracth'nil

Post by Aracth'nil » March 4th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Why is the Art Dump still a thing? We have the gallery now but new stuff still goes in there, albeit slower.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Enthralled

Post by Enthralled » March 4th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Aracth'nil wrote:Why is the Art Dump still a thing? We have the gallery now but new stuff still goes in there, albeit slower.
I imagine because people don't want their new art to be lost in the gallery and want to advertise their new stuff.

Rendrassa
I am a: Artist

Post by Rendrassa » March 5th, 2017, 10:43 pm

If that's the case, they should have a thread in the artists section so that their art is properly advertised and isn't lost. I, personally, do the opposite. I just post all my artwork to the gallery and let interested people find it there.
Clicky? Image

BewingedDragon

Post by BewingedDragon » March 8th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Suggestion: Make the user be able to change between themes.
+ I also think there's an addon so you can change the language of the forum board too. Would be neat
+ Add a link to the gallery in the header, next to the Forums and Members buttons. Opening the gallery in a new tab would also be good

*edit*: I just realised that this thread might not have been the best one to write suggestions in.

*edit 2*: The gallery is messy/confusing imo, the same color tone + the huge amount of headers, text boxes and images makes it very cluttered. Letting the user choose a custom theme there too would be awesome, or an option to not have the page in full-width
Rawr~ | /r/ScaliePorn /r/ZootopiaPorn | hentaifurryxxx.tumblr.com | Sweden | @Bewinged on Telegram