Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

Hey guys! Michael here! (I'm back)

Introduce yourself and get involved with the community!
MichaelGabrielR
I am a: Author

Hey guys! Michael here! (I'm back)

Post by MichaelGabrielR » May 26th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Hey guys!

I'm so happy that I can finally re-join you! :D

My name is Michael and I'm a hobbyist game developer, writer and digital artist, who happens to also be a software engineer.
I like a whole variety of ferals, but my favorite has to be the dragon (followed by raptors as close second),
which I see as the body and might that mankind has always been attracted to, either as a worthy opponent or something much more intimate.
A thing I particularly enjoy is to create works of fiction within the "Legends of Zeranoth" universe that I've created.
You can read more about on my furaffinity page, if you like. :D

What kind of dragon body would I like for myself?
Feral, but with paws/hands dexterous enough to use a PC and hold a gamepad.
Blue, smooth, dolphin-like skin and equally as smooth, but light-brown leathery skin on my belly.
Brown feathers on my head, that transition into fur the further towards my back they go.
Black horns and feathery black wings to finish it off.

I believe that what makes us human is the mind/soul, not the body.
That's how I am able to identify myself both as fully human and a dragon, though the later only in my heart and dreams.
Heck, if I had the chance, I'd gladly become a dragon if I could retain the same or gain improved intelligence and other things, via advanced technology perhaps?
That's why, though I see a lot of people around me fearing the future, I embrace it with a wide-eyed idealism, as an opportunity to fulfill my wildest dreams.
My job, my health, heck - my very existence would have not been possible without technology, as I would have been dead long ago.
I'd love to live until the end of the world, perhaps with a significant other or two to make the time even more enjoyable for all of us. ;)

I am a Christian, a creationist and a fundamentalist even (in the sense that I value Bible over man-made tradition/interpretation), but don't worry - I don't wish to condemn anyone, for I myself am not perfect either.
For me it just means that I can enjoy this life without worry, because of the hope that it won't be over even if I die, that all of the bullshit and suffering I had in this life will be over and I can finally rest, in this life and beyond.
Moreover, I don't use the various commandments and moral laws found in the Bible as a codex to impose on myself or anyone, because I don't believe it was meant to be used that way.
I believe that it was meant to show how flawed humans actually are and realize their need of a Savior, rather than a strict law to live by to somehow earn heaven, which I believe that is impossible to do.
The only ones then that should care about it would be those who trust Christ and his loving sacrifice by faith and not by following laws.
Those people, like myself, then would try to adhere to to the moral standard set in the Scripture, sure, but not out of obligation, only out of love and gratitude.
Think of this like an relationship, the same way as someone trying not to sadden their significant other, but live in a way that might please that significant other.
So yeah, I guess it boils down to hope and a relationship status, if you have a closer look. lol

But how does this relate to this board and the scaly/furry community as a whole?
I must admit that I've been too hard on myself and others, even unreasonably so, due to my perfectionist tendencies.
Some of my scaly friends (like Vedran and Azarius) made me realize this and I am really thankful for that, as it really helped me to see myself and others in a more compassionate way.
I just hope that we could be accepting of each other's flaws and tolerant of each other's differences and likes.
I see myself as on a constant journey of discovery (especially in regards to finding God's will for my life from his written word) and I'm gradually learning more things and thus broadening my horizons.
For example, for a long part of my life I viewed erotica as sinful, until I realized that an entire book of the Bible was an exquisite erotic literary work itself! (and a classic one at that!)
Then came a point of realization, when I discovered how humanity is independent from the physical body, because God is primarily a spirit and therefore our qualities made in his image are spiritual as well.
(this made it possible for me to appreciate feral characters in all of their shapes and forms, as well as my wish to become one, with a clear conscience)
How ascetic thought (the same that the apostles warned against) entered the early Church (once the apostles have died) and declared all kinds of sex as dirty, the thinking that persists to this day.
And recently, how polygamy (specifically polygyny) is something pure and holy (in contrary to how it was seen as barbaric in the Roman empire), just like threesomes and female/female relations within such marriage are.
Guess what?
Even if I said part of those things in most modern churches, I'd would have been crucified! (figuratively speaking)
But I want to be more than that - I want to be understanding and loving towards people, even if I don't agree with them about everything.
I don't expect acceptance from you guys (even though I desperately need it in my life), only tolerance.
Since I've been discovering all of those things in the Bible (and my journey of discovery will never end as long as this life goes on), I am reluctant to condemn anyone, least I condemn myself.
So if I happen to say my opinion on a certain topic or like, then know that I am stating my own moral boundaries, showing you the limits of myself, of what I can and cannot bear,
a weakness in my own character, not yours or anyone else; because of how precious my relationship feels to me, not out of fear, which inevitably turns into hate.
I don't want to be a fire that burns and hurts people, but a fire of a fireplace or a bonfire, which gives them warmth, light and hope in life.
Ideally I'd love for everyone to feel the same peace and security about this life and what happens after it, as well as the loving relationship with something greater than themselves.
But I also believe that each one of us walks their own path and that it's not in my power to make anyone listen, not to mention believe anything, but it's all up to God and his will.

Thank you for reading and for letting myself open up like that.
I really needed it.

I hope we could be friends, enjoy dragons and other sexy scaly things together
and simply have some much-needed fun, my beautiful people! ^^
In Siegward's own words: "Long may the sun shine!"

Cheers!

-Michael

P.S. As you might have already guessed, I'm a huge Dark Souls fan, but I also enjoy Devil May Cry series and do play Hearthstone from time to time (Ysera has to be my favorite dragon in Warcraft lore).
I really liked Crash Bandicoot 2 and Croc (my favorite and first platformers respectively), as well as the original Spyro trilogy (the Legends, while not as good, were also fine to a lesser extent).
I'm so excited about Bloodborne and Crash Bandicoot remake that I'm just a few games away from getting a PS4!
But what I want the most, in terms of gaming, is to finish my video game project, which is based in my "Legends of Zeranoth" story setting.
Wish me success!
As a Christian, I believe Draconity and Humanity are NOT mutually exclusive, as our humanity (made in God's image) is independent from the bodies we live in.
Proud supporter of erotica, polygyny and f/f relations within it.
An idealist, I wish to become a dragon one day though advanced technology.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Re: Hey guys! Michael here! (I'm back)

Post by Valcyrie » May 26th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Geez what a introduction! xD Welcome aboard!

Though a technicality: if you interpret the Bible in your own way and such and such as you so neatly described - you are no longer a fundamentalist ;)
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

64Dragonheart64

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » May 26th, 2017, 11:20 pm

(Yeah, that one was one hell of an introduction)
"If only I could be so grossly incandescent!"
In all seriousness, welcome. Our principal difference would be our beliefs, as i'm a non-believer but i came to consider more or less recently that a dragon came to watch over me years ago, only discovering it early this year (more like a spiritual thing)
For me, religion should be as you practice it, more liberal and way less dogmatic, and there is something i always wanted to ask to a follower of Christianism. Is it true that that religion percieves dragons as a sign of evil and greed?
And still on the dragon topic, both the one that watches over me and the one i would turn into if the dragon transformation becomes a thing in the future (give us diextrous paws, damnit!) would be a black one with golden (opaque) underbelly and the chest upwards zone, skinny. If it becomes a thing and i'm dead, carry my ashes to the place! Hell, if reincarnation is a thing, we may reincarnate in that...
I started DS3 early this year to see if the DS saga was actually difficult, and recently i killed the soul of cinder and finished the first DLC, now i have to finish The Ringed City and DS1 at the same time (the tomb of the giants is so painful...)
I am interested in seeing your proyect in the future, and as someone we know would say...
"And finally, upon this rendezvous, let us make a toast. To your valour, my sword, and our sworn duties! Long may the sun shine!"
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.

MichaelGabrielR

Post by MichaelGabrielR » May 27th, 2017, 12:02 pm

You have no idea how happy I am, guys! (figuratively speaking, because probably you do XD)

Val, thank you for accepting me to this awesome group!
Maybe I used the wrong term (the dictionary one), but I simply meant that I see the Bible as a reliable source of guidance, that's all.
Don't expect any witch hunts from me, sis! ;)
Remember that we're in this together Valcyrie, all of us, walking through life, trying to find answers, trying to make sense of the world around us and inside us, to do what is right and have fun while doing so.
My wish is to celebrate life and its beauty together with you.
And knowing that here be dragons, it's gonna be a hell of a ride! ^^

Now, this one's for you, 64Dragonheart64!

For me, religion can be approached in two ways.
One is recreational, more like a pillow than a parachute, used as a past time, a way to socialize, do familiar things over again and make oneself feel better in the process.
The other is out of practicality, more like a parachute than a pillow, having solved the most pressing issue of one's life (or death), it's now about trying to find what is right, what is true and the right path through one's life.
You can probably see why a dogma might be needed in the second scenario and why I chose that path.

Anyway, now onto your question.
Is it true that religion perceives dragons as a sign of evil and greed? :?:
While eastern religions see dragons as a source of wisdom and good, let me give you a perspective which I'm most familiar with - the Christian one.

It won't be a simple answer, but those are the most interesting ones! (or rather, really weird ones in the light of what is "politically correct" nowadays)
To answer this, we must first gather some facts that will let you better understand the answer (otherwise you won't be able to know that the hell you're even looking at).
So grab some popcorn and enjoy the ride!

First, you must understand that my understanding of the Biblical timeline differs very much from what is established currently by historians.
From what I learned, human knowledge is mutable (but that's great, it means that humans can improve) and prone to some spectacular errors.
A great example would be inconsistencies about dating things, the phantom time hypothesis (in which there's about 300 years missing), audacious forgeries for personal gain (including the ones made in the abbeys) and circular thinking with regards to dating methods themselves (calibrating one faulty method with another faulty one and presenting them as truth to match one's personal agenda).
But anyway, the Biblical time is calculated the following simple way - by counting backwards from today!
There is a reason why they did include all of those boring-as-fuck chronologies in that book, who had sex with whom, how long did they live etc., to keep everything nice and organized.
The Gospels even go to the length of including two separate genealogies for Jesus alone, one from his legal father's side and one from his biological mother's side, so that each and every single obscure law could be fulfilled that way.
Every person in those chronologies have a backstory, so no wonder the thing looks like a brick - it's actually 39 entire books for Old Testament alone and like 27 tomes worth of accounts about Jesus and letters for various congregations.
If we assume Christ's birth to be around 1 AD, we can go backwards to Abraham (or Abram, as he was called before he changed his name), which is pretty far back in human history.
From there we can go to Noah and his catastrophic flood and from there all the way to Adam and Eve, the first humans.
I don't remember what year was it exactly, but it more or less aligns with the current Jewish calendar, in which we now have the 2nd day of the month of Sivan year 5777!
Crazy, I know, but why am I telling you this?
Because now we're going to talk about dinosaurs and it's going to get freaky! :)

Dinosaurs are pretty much real and calling them fictional or forgeries feels like a slap in the face of their creator.
So if they are real, then they had to be there with Adam in Eden, a few had to be brought on the Noah's ark, while the rest of them were buried by the great flood (hence the fossils),
and the surviving ones had to fight men for survival (which would explain why just about every culture has some kind of a dragon in it).
But... (and here's the shocker) they weren't always called that way!
The word "dinosaur" (which means formidable lizard) is a relatively modern invention by an English paleontologist Sir Richard Owen, who coined the term around the year 1842.
No wonder that the word "dinosaur" is nowhere to be found in the Bible, just like the word "Bible" is nowhere to be found in it either.
So what was the word that those animals were called before the word "dinosaur" was invented?
Dragons... they were called "dragons".
And it's not the only instance this etymological mix-up happened.
Take the Rhinoceros Unicornis (in the Bible referred to as "unicorns"), which was a rhino,
but the artists who never been to Africa or Asia and haven't seen them with their eyes, painted them as horses with horns and the imagery sicked, just like painting Jesus like a hippy is commonly accepted today.
And in case of dinosaurs, to name just one instance, the Bible shows us Behemoth and Leviathan as examples of God's power.
From their physical descriptions, one can deduce that they best match a Brachiozaur and some kind of Ichthyosaur respectively.
Dragons always symbolized power, for better and for worse.
The imagery people are most familiar with is the comparison of Satan to a multi-headed dragon (the same book which depicted Jesus as a horrifying multi-eyed undead lamb with a sword breath attack; so Metal...).
This is why often the dragon is seen as a symbol of evil, but it's actually a very, very huge misconception.
Ironically, God himself is symbolically depicted as having wings under which shadow one can rest and as breathing fire!
So spiritually, God is depicted as a dragon more accurately than the devil himself (makes sense for someone who tries to usurp him) and we, created in his image can also reflect this reality as dragons.
As I said, dragons always stood for the most powerful beasts that God himself has created and declared "good" on day 5 and 6 respectively and told them to fuck (which was also good!).
But that's not the only symbol misconception and not only instance that the devil usurped God's symbols for himself.
The snake is always associated with the one the devil used as a puppet in Eden, but few remember that Jesus himself used the symbol of the brass serpent to refer to himself!
Besides, the devil wouldn't have used the snake anyways if it wasn't designed by God to be at least appealing.
And I can understand where the symbol of greed came from - the ascetic Greco-Roman thought, coupled with a misunderstanding how they eat. (and in case of dragons, the huge piles of treasure they were supposedly guarding)
Last, but not least, everybody remembers Jesus being referred to as the "lion of Judah", but amnesia kicks in when they are being warned of Satan, who is the "roaring lion" that seeks someone to "devour".
As you can see, it's often times the most beautiful things in God's creation, like dinosaurs, corn snakes, black kittens, baby goats and educated humans, things not evil in of themselves, that are being used as symbols of evil.
Heck, even the beautiful star-and-moon-lit sky with a smiling pumpkin on the ground and a dancing flame inside of it is automatically associated with evil, for heaven's sake!

With all kinds of creatures being called a "dinosaur" (or a "dragon", depending on when you lived), things start to get confusing, especially among the less read folk.
Imagine you're a bard, walking though different villages in order to ask the peasants (the same that still thought that snails come from wittered leaves) what a dragon looked like.
Some tell you that a dragon has horns, some of them saw a dragon flying by, others told you of the sharp teethe and claws, bringing you their flayed livestock as proof.
A few guys even told that they tried to pick one with a pitchfork, but its hide was too thick.
One guy brings a dead body of one to you and you notice a few things - it's big, scary, has sharp claws and teethe and on the back of its neck you see a neck frill.
The guy who brought it said that it opened its mouth and he could feel his face burning.
Having been told that a dragon flies and mistaking the neck frill as underdeveloped wings, you conclude that it's just a hatching and the things must be wiped out to save the village.
Or something like that.
In the end, the bard passes the stories on and painters start to paint the terrifying image of what we know as the modern dragon - an amalgamation of the most powerful traits and a worthy opponent for humanity.
And yet, I always saw dragons as a reflection of humanity.
Having no further monsters to challenge him and impress the love of their lives, humans have looked into the mirror, their wishes of wisdom, wealth and power, all rolled into the image of a dragon.
After all, in order of the hero to look good, the villain has to be someone or something more capable, so that it would stand a decent challenge and feel like an accomplishment.
But for others, the dragon stood for something they want to aspire to, the wisdom, the wealth, the power and sheer beauty of all the power given to God's creations rolled into one biologically-perfect being.
Good physical and mental traits to pass to one's offspring are the basis of sexual attraction and no wonder that men, such as myself, are attracted to the characters exhibiting such intellect, unearthly beauty, power and elegance, such as dragons.
I reckon that's also true for most of us.

In summary, the Biblical Christian position is that dragons are amazing creatures for a reason, that had always been a demonstration and celebration of God's power, a celebration of life and its beauty.
The modern depiction of a dragon is a symbol of every perfect and good thing that mankind aspires to and desires, which the Bible says that is a gift that comes from above, directly from God himself.
And that's all the more reason for me to identify as a dragon. ;)

Anyway, that's all for your question. :!:

So, you have a dragon persona? (I haven't played any of the Persona games, so I might digress)
I think that your dragon form is beautiful and I wish that we all become dragons one day.

Hey, congrats on enjoying Dark Souls!
The Ringed City? Well, then you're in for a treat! Midir is one of the toughest boss fights in the game (not just because of how it's difficult to keep focus due to the boss' sexy ass)
and it rewards you with a new covenant that lets you become the game's boss!
I love being summoned as a boss! I loved it in Demon's Souls as the Old Monk, in Dark Souls 2 as the mirror squire and now as the Spear of the Church.
What's more, you can revive the boss in your world, so that people can invade you and fight you as the boss in your own world, which is neat!
Dark Souls 1 is one of the best, but the Tomb of the Giants... well, I usually do the same thing for it - get all the divine embers and max out a divine reinforced club as support weapon,
while using chaos pyromancies for the crawling skellies.
The bone pillars near Patches drop the necessary white titanite chunks to make that possible and you can always warp to the depths to get large titanite shards.
You'll really need that divine weapon for the room before Nito and during his fight.
Now you reminded me how I went through that part of the game dressed in Mask of the Sealer head and Catarina armor body, which looked outright hilarious. (like a garden gnome)
Well, I hope that helps.

As for my game, I'm pretty much pleased with what I was able to build up until now.
Heck, if the game is already fun in its early stages, then it's going to be fun when you add cool graphics and sounds.
I was thinking of including 3 settings for explicit content, the 3rd one being only available in "director's cut" version of the game.
That way I can still get the game onto steam and other stores, while giving you guys content all of us could definitely enjoy.
And something tells me that I'm going to need a lot of your help...

*laughs in onionbro*
As a Christian, I believe Draconity and Humanity are NOT mutually exclusive, as our humanity (made in God's image) is independent from the bodies we live in.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » May 27th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Wow. You're quite the writer... I couldn't do an eighth of that in one sitting. Also do you watch Vsauce? The title sounds almost exactly like that intorduction. I watch and meddle in a lot of science, so the title made me think of that. Anyway, welcome back, good to see another old member has found us, and I hope to see you around!
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

64Dragonheart64

Post by 64Dragonheart64 » May 27th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Never thought that a religious text would be so interesting. Nor so long, but i read it all nevertheless as breakfast.
Will be glad to give that help...
The dragon that inhabited my soul left and now it watches over me.

MichaelGabrielR

Post by MichaelGabrielR » May 27th, 2017, 3:50 pm

Aracth'nil wrote:Wow. You're quite the writer... I couldn't do an eighth of that in one sitting. Also do you watch Vsauce? The title sounds almost exactly like that intorduction. I watch and meddle in a lot of science, so the title made me think of that. Anyway, welcome back, good to see another old member has found us, and I hope to see you around!
Hey, thanks!
I really like writing, as you can tell and it's very convenient for me.
While many of you guys can create amazing visuals, writing can actually place the reader in the thought process and emotions of the characters and the situation.
No single one is better than the other, as both have advantages, but games take creative effort from a variety of fields to create something a lot more appealing than the mare sum of their parts.

I did watch Vsauce a while back and I was pretty surprised that he did a vid with Adam Savage of Mythbusters fame (used to be one of my favorite shows).
You probably read that title in his voice, didn't you? ;)

Anyway, I hope to join you all on Discord once I get myself more organized.
Cheers!
64Dragonheart64 wrote:Never thought that a religious text would be so interesting. Nor so long, but i read it all nevertheless as breakfast.
Will be glad to give that help...
Just noticed that you replied after I submitted this post.
So for the sake of avoiding double-posting, an edit is in order. ;)

To be quite honest, the Bible has to be the toughest books a man can ever read.
True, the books/chapters are not out of order like in the Koran, but it helps not to slog through all the Old Testament accounts of wars,
but to start with something easier like the book of Proverbs or the four Gospels and compare who noticed what details of the same events.
Or one could test his endurance and start reading from the beginning, with the risk of seeing God as too severe for no apparent reason (because his plan didn't came to light yet).
Either way, it's up to the reader, but the more info you have, the better you can arrive at a sound conclusion.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » May 28th, 2017, 4:34 pm

MichaelGabrielR wrote:Val, thank you for accepting me to this awesome group!
Maybe I used the wrong term (the dictionary one), but I simply meant that I see the Bible as a reliable source of guidance, that's all.
Don't expect any witch hunts from me, sis! ;)
Remember that we're in this together Valcyrie, all of us, walking through life, trying to find answers, trying to make sense of the world around us and inside us, to do what is right and have fun while doing so.
My wish is to celebrate life and its beauty together with you.
And knowing that here be dragons, it's gonna be a hell of a ride! ^^
Fundamentalist means that you follow your religious path "by the book", literally. A fundamentalist believes that interpretations are a wrongdoing of Gods words, and that his laws are meant to be followed exactly the way they are written.

Glad to hear, or this little witch would be pissed xD The rest of what you wrote however I feel is the foundation for philosophical discussions and shouldnt be held in a intro thread. We have a religion section for that :3 But aye, this place is full of dragons. Enjoy!
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Indominus Roark
Commissions: Open for trades

Post by Indominus Roark » May 29th, 2017, 2:01 am

Vsauce! No just kidding. But I am Roark friendly neighborhood Wyvern. That was quite a detailed introduction. Welcome aboard the Herpy vessel. And as always!!
:)
No fate but what we make.

Koatliqua
Commissions: Open

Post by Koatliqua » May 31st, 2017, 10:40 pm

Hello and welcome, welcome.
Like dew or a flash of lightning;
Thus we shall perceive them.

Check out my blog! ~ https://jasminesgarage.wordpress.com/

Mazrogal

Post by Mazrogal » June 1st, 2017, 9:26 am

Wanna wish you a warm welcome to the herpy community ^^
''Life is a struggle sometimes just push through and fight never give up''

My steamprofile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mazrogal Feel free to send a friend request^^

LokiDragon
I am a: Artist
Commissions: Open

Post by LokiDragon » June 4th, 2017, 11:32 pm

I've said this already (On FA) but welcome back, Michael. It's good to see you back in action.