Herpy.nu forums are still not fully operational. To stay updated, follow me at https://twitter.com/ValkyrianArts

Any way to have a croc as a pet??

Passion for what lurks in the water...
Spikynator

Any way to have a croc as a pet??

Post by Spikynator » July 31st, 2016, 12:41 am

[Note: This is a similar topic to an old thread I made months ago in the old Herpy because I was curious to know if I could have a crocodile as a pet, and honestly I still am, so I decided to bring this topic once more to see the opinions and ideas of other people related to this. :3]

So, as the title may suggest, I would like to know if there is a way to keep a crocodile and have it as your pet. Are there any special/specific requirements a crocodile needs before and after you adopt and bring it your house?? Do you need any professional help and/or need to acquire any experience related to crocodiles?? Is there a safe way to interact with the cute croc without it chopping your fingers off (Hopefully <3)??

Also, as a special addition to the topic, what would you do if you could actually have a crocodile as a pet? Would you take very good care and love it very much? Would you train it and make it your house guardian? Would you have sex with... uhh... forget that last part...
Rawr rawr!! :3

Werecrocodile

Re: Any way to have a croc as a pet??

Post by Werecrocodile » July 31st, 2016, 1:13 am

Well it all depends on what breed of crocodile and where you live , for instance if you live in Florida you can not own an American alligator, but if you live in the u.k , you can own a dwarf caiman.

( don't try to stunt ones growth ,my friend tried this ... well the gator did not fare well in the end)

Also, yes you would need lots of experience with reptiles. And finally for becoming friends with them , you should raise them from infantry

Also here is one that makes a good pet http://cobras.org/dwarf-caiman/
Wenn dein deutsch wie ich dich das liest kannst du Verwenden Sie kein Google Translate. Verlierer
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

System Error Message

Post by System Error Message » August 1st, 2016, 9:52 pm

There was a documentary which the guy focused on crocs who got killed in the sea by a stingray i think. Cant really remember his name but he did hug crocs.

Werecrocodile

Post by Werecrocodile » August 1st, 2016, 10:57 pm

System Error Message wrote:There was a documentary which the guy focused on crocs who got killed in the sea by a stingray i think. Cant really remember his name but he did hug crocs.
His name was steve Irwin and he was quite the badass ( he caught a like 7 foot long freshwater crocodile at a young age).
Wenn dein deutsch wie ich dich das liest kannst du Verwenden Sie kein Google Translate. Verlierer
Hidden Content

System Error Message

Post by System Error Message » August 2nd, 2016, 7:00 am

he seems to like hugging them on camera lol. Just becareful because their jaws are quite powerful.

Dracokon
Site Admin

Post by Dracokon » August 4th, 2016, 3:46 am

My studies on crocodilians have largely been toward A. mississippiensis, so I'll state right off the bat that I am not the most well read on crocodiles specifically. From my understanding however they can be more temperamental and aggressive than alligators. Crocodilians raised from birth with frequent handling to acclimate them not just to humans but also to touch would be your best possible scenario, however since the animals are not "tame" by regular standards you still run the very significant risk of being injured when the animal reaches a few years old.

Additionally, ownership of crocodilians is a legal gray area that varies by state. You will need to check your local laws regarding large or exotic pets. More than likely you will also need to obtain a permit to own this type of animal. (Requirements for the permit as well as fees, if any, will also depend upon your state.) I've known a handful of people in Texas and Louisiana who just "adopted" an alligator that they found or that stumbled onto their property, this is not something I would recommend doing if only for the fact that this is literally a wild animal that you'd be dealing with. Go through the proper channels.
Twitter - YouTube - Gatorbox Forum
Telegram: Dracokon

Rep-Souls

Post by Rep-Souls » August 7th, 2016, 12:06 am

It has been my personal dream to own a large crocodile, so most of my knowledge comes from that specific field, though there is bound to be overlap. Owning a big reptile was something I had always had a childlike interest in, that only got any real purchase after meeting an incredibly supporting friend here back in the old days. Almost 4 years later, and I can pass on a few things. It is entirely possible to do if you're passionate enough, and it will be magnitudes more work than you expect at the outset. You need a stable place to live that can support a temperature controlled habitat. You need a rock solid income stream to support that habitat, as well as feeding and care for a crocodile. Running out of money when you have a large reptile to feed is going to lead to heartbreak, if not worse. You want to do everything by the books, dotting every I and crossing every T. I have heard too many stories of people getting injured by their beloved exotic pets, who are to scared to go get proper medical care because they' can't explain how they got their injuries to authorities. There are also more long term things to consider. If you truly care for your reptile, figure out early on how long it will live. A good number of larger crocodilians will live as long as a human. That means if you're 20 years old when you purchase your baby crocodile, there's an incredibly high chance it outlives you. You really cannot expect a family member to just inherit an exotic pet that they'd need to get a license just to care for. Try to set something up with a local zoo or animal shelter so that when you're gone, you know that your scaly pal will still be well cared for. There's allot you need to establish before taking on that kind or responsibility. on top of having the experience and dedication to handle an animal that has the potential to seriously or fatally injure you. It's a passion project, but one that I think will be incredibly satisfying.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » August 14th, 2016, 4:55 pm

As a few already have pointed out, owning a croc is a lot of work and a huge responsibility. First of all, you better make sure you know everything about how to best to take care of it, and then always remember that its a reptile you are dealing with, not a cuddly little dog. It can kill you without warning or remorse.

But Im going to go ahead and say dont get one. Your last sentence about having sex with it in the shape of a question clearly shows your intentions and if that is the case, you are not welcome here.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Mazrogal

Post by Mazrogal » August 15th, 2016, 9:30 am

I would not advise having a croc as a pet they are better off living in the wild and like others have said properly take a lot of caution to own one since they can kill you. And that last part about having sex with it i just hope is a sick joke, Sure i have a feral fursona/dragonsona and have feral art where he have fun with others in digital form but i sure as hell don't find bestiality attractive i find it sick and cruel in the real world.
''Life is a struggle sometimes just push through and fight never give up''

My steamprofile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mazrogal Feel free to send a friend request^^

Werecrocodile

Post by Werecrocodile » August 27th, 2016, 1:13 am

dragon person wrote: And that last part about having sex with it i just hope is a sick joke, Sure i have a feral fursona/dragonsona and have feral art where he have fun with others in digital form but i sure as hell don't find bestiality attractive i find it sick and cruel in the real world.

I don't want to even really think about that, and I'm absolutely sure nobody would want this site ,as young as it is, to be closed.
Hidden Content

DragonCurse4

Post by DragonCurse4 » August 27th, 2016, 3:25 am

*Facepalms* I'm pretty sure I answered a thread like this one on old Herpy (in fact I'm pretty sure it was yours). I thought this issue was already solved, but I guess not...so I'll reiterate.

Owning any of crocodile/alligator is very very VERY dangerous, and not only that waaaaaaaay more work and preperation than owning a dog or a cat. Just one mistake could wind up getting you killed, your croc killed, or your neighbor killed, or all of the above.

First of all, owning any type of exotic pet needs a hell of a lot more preparation/research before the actually pet ownership happens. I say also to have years studying with an alligator handler as well.

Even after all that, you have to make sure you have the right..."habitat" to properly keep your croc happy and healthy (you should have a really big yard with access to water, like a pond). Also I say you would have to live pretty reclusively if you want to own a dangerous animal. It only takes one time for your croc to escape and gravely injure whatever neighbor is nearby, and for you to go to jail, and sadly your croc put down.

Next you have to also make sure there is a veterinarian clinic nearby that can properly take care of your croc. Which would be an even harder thing to accomplish, since not a lot actually get training in how to take care of exotic animals, and those that do get jobs in, ya know, zoos and not normal clinics.

Though all this would be made a moot point, if the place you live in doesn't even allow you to own an exotic animal in the first place. Which, to be honest, should have been the first thing you looked up before posting your "can I have" post on Herpy, cause if the law says you can't....well there's your answer. Also, if it turns out you can, you usually have to spend hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of dollars to buy a license before you can own an exotic anyway. So the next question is, do you have that kind of money?

You ask if you CAN have a croc as a pet. I think the better question is SHOULD you own a croc as a pet?
  • Did you do your research and/or have training to properly care for a croc (or was this decided on a whim?)?
    Do you have the proper living space to house a croc?
    Is there anyway for you to get medical attention for your croc if he/she falls ill? Or just check ups in general?
    Does the area you live in even allow you to own a croc?
If you answered "no" to even just one of these bullet points, then the answer is no, no you should not own a croc as a pet.
Anime is trash...

and so am I.

CrankyMoose

Post by CrankyMoose » September 21st, 2016, 12:36 pm

Like werecroc said, dwarf caimans are probably your best pet. Firstly you can legally have them as a pet (in the uk) and also they're a bit easier to handle than a big croc you lured out of the swamp.
A dream, an illusion, a bubble and a shadow