Herpy.nu is now closed and archived - will be replaced by something new and better.

Herpy has had a good 13 year run and will never be forgotten for those of us who experienced it. Sadly the site is today unappealing and is no longer fit for the audience of 2018. The gallery will remain operational until further notice. You can follow me on Twitter for further developments. We also have a Discord server which has become the heart of the community. If you wish to join it, send me a PM over Twitter.

Kind regards,
Valcyrie

HOLY SHIT WE COULD RESTORE THE OLD SITE!!!!

A place for hangout, chill and easy discussion.
The Unnamed

HOLY SHIT WE COULD RESTORE THE OLD SITE!!!!

Post by The Unnamed » July 25th, 2017, 7:19 pm

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I FOUND SNAPSHOTS OF THE OLD HERPY.NET WEBSITE ON THE WAYBACK MACHINE!!!!!!!

ALL THE WAY FROM 2006 TO 2016!!!!!!!!!

I CAN EVEN BROWSE THE SITE LIKE Y'ORE!!!!

https://web.archive.org/web/20120515000000*/Herpy.net
:D :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

SHARE THIS WITH THE ADMINS!!!! SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE!!!!!

THERE MUST BE SOME SALVAGEABLE STUFF FROM THE SNAPSHOTS!!!

JUST BROWSING SOME SNAPSHOTS OF THE SITE AND I CAN FIND A LOT OF STUFF FROM THE OLD GALLERY!!! EVEN OUR OLD POSTS AND STUFF!!!
Last edited by The Unnamed on July 26th, 2017, 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am the Unnamed,roaming this here earth,transcending time and age,searching for a purpose, a reason to be,to exist.

The Unnamed

Re: HOLY SHIT WE COULD RESTORE THE OLD SITE!!!!

Post by The Unnamed » July 25th, 2017, 7:27 pm

JUST BROWSING SOME SNAPSHOTS OF THE SITE AND I CAN FIND A LOT OF STUFF FROM THE OLD GALLERY!!! EVEN OUR OLD POSTS AND STUFF!!!
I am the Unnamed,roaming this here earth,transcending time and age,searching for a purpose, a reason to be,to exist.

Valcyrie
Site Admin
I am a: Author
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » July 26th, 2017, 1:54 am

Oookay xD We know about the wayback machine. Excited I get it, but chill a bit; and next time please edit your first post instead of making double posts :P

But aye, the link is a nice trip into Nostalgia :3
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Aracth'nil
I am a: Lurker

Post by Aracth'nil » July 26th, 2017, 9:15 am

The problem with restoring that is that we updated the format of the server so stuff is not compatible as far as I've heard.
People are like dragons. They can be dangerous, but they can be friendly. But whatever you are, take flight into the blue abyss of endless possibility!

Valcyrie
Site Admin
Commissions: Temporarily closed

Post by Valcyrie » July 26th, 2017, 4:37 pm

That (technically it can be fixed, but I'd have to manually copy code from each page, and there are thousands of them), and to be frank, considering how fucking broken old Herpy was, I have no intention of adding it in here and fuck over our clean and working scripts o.-.o I'd rather have the wayback machine as it is - a wayback machine.
Avatar by Semura. Signature by me and Ember.

Dracokon
Site Admin

Post by Dracokon » November 29th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Just having screencaps and archived posts/threads is not really enough to build a backup from. The easiest method of restoring the original forums would just be to export the forum's MySQL database, convert its tables and information to phpBB's format, and then import it here. However that is not possible seeing as how the person/people who currently own or otherwise have access to Herpy's 2005-2016 database are unwilling to provide it.

(Also Wayback Machine and other archive tools view websites as guests and thus they would not be able to provide backups of the many parts of the original website that were not visible to guests, such as the Blogs and Members Only subforums.)

edit: The forum database from the ".net Years" was also damaged. I'm not a computer science major so I cannot exactly quantify the damage or even properly explain it in a coherent manner, but it was a miracle that the forums even WORKED back in the day. I'm still not fully sure how the forum database ended up getting messed up but I think there was a problem converting the existing database from phpBB to vBulletin, and when we imported the content there was a hiccup or something. Everything was still functional though, mostly, so we just kinda ignored the problem because A) I genuinely did not have the skills to fix it myself and B) Varka was now preoccupied with Bad Dragon full time. So, basically what I'm getting at here is that even if we did manage to obtain a copy of the original database we'd have to hire a professional to untangle it so it would work here.
#DracokonIsBack
SoFurry -- FurryNetwork -- FurAffinity
Telegram: Dracokon

Aquilla Whingate

Post by Aquilla Whingate » December 16th, 2017, 3:25 am

Wayback Machine only works so far.. It does not display any of the forum threads that could only be accessed via logged in users. And those are the screenshots I wish I had right now.